Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone regularly surf fish? (tire question)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CasterTroy, Apr 28, 2006.

1. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Registered Member

I have a 83 3/4 ton suburban that I intend to use to tow my Jeep, as well as take to the outer banks and surf fish out of.

I'm headed to galloways this weekend to buy some 33's and I'd like to know what you guys would recommend for tires and wheel width (16" wheels)

I know I'll need to air down to around 10-15 depending on if I go 16" or 6.5" (learned this doing a search) and I know I DON'T want mud terrain (learned also during search) but i'd like SOME kind of towing capacity to go along with an all terrain capability. Does that exist?

I've always called the swamper trxus STS a "poser" tire :rolleyes: but the more I read, the more they seem like to be the PERFECT sand tire. Other selections are the BFG AT but I don't know how well either do under towing load.

If this needs to go in the specific Suburban subboard, please forgive me. Seems most search finds came from THIS forum on sand-tire-beach searchs

2. jayweb

jayweb 1/2 ton status

hey - I know you from nc4x4 - I frequent the Carolina Beach area and have BFG at's on my K5 (for the moment) you cant beat them on the sand and they wear awesome - I dont even air down. (but I've heard the outer banks sand is "thicker") - If you want load capacity look at the 305 or the 315 sizes - "D" load range - the 33" is a C. We just took a set of 305/70/16 's off a guys truck - I could look into getting them for you if you like.

3. burban1500

burban1500 Registered Member

ive had the 33 by 12.5 bfg at's on my sub for over 3 yrs and they are great on the beach. they seem like a soft tire which helps keep you floating on the sand. i can cruise fine down the beach with 22-25psi in them or if i let them down to 15 it goes real nice. I live on the shore and am on the beach at least once or more a weak fishing for bass or surfing

4. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

I love my 265/75R16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's load range E! They do really well and the ride doesn't feel like wagon wheel. They're on a '91 V2500 'Burb.

5. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have driven out at Hatteras alot with my 31" Firestone Destination AT with no problems at all. It sounds like you know how soft the sand is. I've seen more trucks stuck due to overheating than I have with tires not being able to handle the sand.

6. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Registered Member

There were some "kids" out there last weekend (I'm guessing college age, out there in Dad's full time parked rig) in what was ONCE an old book-mobile (freakin SWEET setup with a back porch etc) that had the hood up and steam rollin out every time we passed them at a hole

Apparently dad didn't tell them they had to travel SLOW :haha:

Thanks guys