Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Relocate their Radiator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Jan 24, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've been wanting to do it, but I can't figure out where in blazes to put the thing on a K5. If I had a pickup, no prob. Can't put it in the back since that's full with a fuel cell, toolbox, air tank, ect. Thought about putting it underneath with skid plates but how to keep it cool? My stock gas tank is gone, so I'd prob fit there... I've always just hated having it up front where it gets caked with mud, bashed with those pesky jumping trees, and flattened by rushing oncoming water.

Plus if I got rid of it in the front, I could recess my winch and eliminate about 8" of front overhang. Where to put it, where to put it....Maybe on the roof with an air induction cowl, puller fans on top, and a cage around it...

Just thinking out loud guys...any ideas???

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

2. You could remove the top and wall off the back of the cab then you could put it in the rear.You would then have a shorter truck.LOL

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah I'd thought about that...but my one single requirement for this truck besides being a badass trail ride and very functional, is that it retain the back seat for killer roadtrips. I'm gonna measure my top(over the drivers seat) tonite and see what it would take to maybe lower the roof an inch or so and mount the radiator in the valley. I could run tubing from the engine, and route it along the same lines as the exoskeleton to the radiator...

hmmmm...

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

...dude - you got way too much time on your hands!!!

behemoth K5

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hey man, no job will do that to ya. All I do is sit around and dream K5 all day.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

How about beefing your hood, then putting it flat on top of it with puller fans and a cowl on it. It would pull air out of the engine bay, maybe not the coolest air, but it would work. Or two smaller radiators on the outsides of the hood pulling air from the area behind the headlights. Although that may put hot air into your cab.

[​IMG]

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Hey bud,
    we talked about this the other day but after reading the thread I just had an idea. Cowl Induction style hood, reversed to be forced air style, radiator mounted horizontally on underside of hood, would have to use a lot more hose but that can be done. so when u lifted the hood the radiator would be attached, but you still have a snorkel somewhat in front for rushing water, etc. but then again if u got water coming over the hood u got problems, shouldn't be wheeling in water that's 6' deep. Just a thought if I confused ya let me know I'll draw it out.

Later
    Les

Like em big and topless