Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone remember Special Edition Amps?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Cmoe, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I was just talking to a friend and we were talking about our old stereo equipment that we remembered having... I just thought I would check to see if any one else used or remembered these amps. They were back in the mid 80's, nice blue aniodized heatsink. A company had PPI make them for them to sale....

2. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

yup! never had one but have seen them. the guy i buy amps from had a couple on ebay a year or so ago, nice blue :D similar in look to the m and am series amps.

3. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

The stereo we pulled out of my father's '86 911 a few years back looked to have been a decent setup for the late 80's or early 90's. It had an "ADS" amp (I think that is right), Boston Acoustics components in front and on rear deck, and an Alpine head unit (tape). We left the amp in the car and installed kicker components and a Blaupunkt headunit (he liked the one I bought for my 944 as it has a retro style to it). Were the ADS amps good stuff? I don't see them nowadays.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

a/d/s used to make some awesome stuff......I have collected FOUR of their PQ20 amps for the K5 stereo (roughly 200W x 2 in bridged mode) Sold originally for around $800 ea, but you can routinely find nice examples on eBay for around $200-$225 these days.

The early stuff PQ10, PQ20, PH15 were all pretty awesome....the later stuff seems to have gone the way of modern Alpine equipment (ie. mainstream, consumer-type junk)...

The expression "they don't make them like they used to" certainly seems to apply for the a/d/s stuff.