Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone remodeling there house?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by COCHEV, Feb 23, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

My house is a early 70s track home on 1/3 acre. sense we've been here i've slowly (and i do mean slowly) redoing the place. so far i have redone the 2 kids rooms- new windows, sheetrock, paint and flooring. currently i gave the front of the house a facelift and added a covered entry to get some curb appeal. its only haft done though cause i'm saving for siding. so i have lots of nice unpainted trim and plywood. looks nice an gehto this summer i hope to gut the living room and yank the carpet for either tile or hardwood. never have carpet if you have kids! biggest waist of money there is. made the mistake of putting new carpet in my youngest daughter's room and 2 years latter it is destroyed- glue, markers, food, pop spilt, etc. i really think the best fooring for kids is concrete with a big floor drain in the middle of the room so i can just hose it out!

so anyone else like to tear their house appart while they are living in it? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Yup. I am right now. It looks like a bomb went off. I am nowhere near being done. If only I had some money... dang it! I agree with the kids and flooring thing. My friend got a new carpet and on day 2 her daughter spilled a whole bottle of hot pink nail polish on it. I thought she was going to kill her. Thank goodness we were able to move the furniture around to put the bed over it! Good luck with getting it done. You sound exactly like me, going bit by bit!

3. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

haha

my parents are ALWAYS remodeling our house. there is always some project we're workin on. right now, we're totally moving the laundry room AND remodeling our kitchen. my house is torn apart. for a few weeks i couldnt even make hot pockets and I thought i would die. even when my parents bought this house (moved in last year) they walked through and were deciding which walls to take out/move and how to change what they thought could be better. I hate it!!

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

As a matter of fact, yes I am. My wife & I bought our house Feb 2001. We did two of the kids' rooms late that year & have been saving since. We started the dining room & kitchen a week & a half ago. Pulled up the carpet, fixed all holes in the woll, primed & painted wall/ceiling. Now doing kitchen walls/ceiling. Gonna replace lights in kitchen as well. Also replaced all outlets to mathc and new "pretty" rocker light switches. Hoping to be readu to do both floors this weekend. I've got all material. Need to put down versabond, the wonderboard for new floor. Then let dry 6 hrs. Then apply versabond again and tile both rooms with 12x12 ceramic tile. Then let set overnight and grout following day. Looks like this Sat is gonna be busy!! If you're bored, come on over!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

We just tore up and remodeled our Kitchen with wood floors, Lighting ($Tehlia$), paint, hardware, countertops, crown molding, and made new cabinet doors...I FEEL YOUR PAIN, but it's worth it. Our area is a total sellers market right now, so anything we do raises value. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    MY SHOP/GARAGE IS NEXT!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm currently working on our computer/furnace room now. Just got the living room completed but still have little bits of trim to put up.
    2 years ago, we did our daughters room before she was born. And about 4 years ago, we redid the whole kitchen in the house, too.

This spring we will be doing our bedroom. Complete with new windows, insulation, sheet rock, carpet, etc. etc.

Next plan, hopefully this summer, is to tear off the west end of the house to raise the flooring up and to build a Gable roof so the floor will be level with the rest of the house and the ceilings will be 8' tall as the rest, too.
    Once this part is all done, the siding will be next.

Unfortunately, the garage is the last project to be finished. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

Yup, so far we've redone the kitchen, bath and bedroom. Resided, tore down and rebuilt the garage, added an addition, redid all plumbing and electrical, insulated and new windows. Getting tired of it.

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

did you use real hardwood or a laminant floor? if real did you go prestained or unfinished? i can't decide if i'm going to do tile or wood in the living/dining area and if i do wood i'd like to minimize down time and mess- sanding and what not. real 3/4" oak that is prestained is like $4.24/ square foot- spendy. but when you put it down its done. tile is better for anything that sees moisture- which in my house can happen anywhere with the kids and dogs /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif more down time for install though. i can't decide yet. will most likely just come down to money

9. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I used the pre-stained 'Pergo' interlocking (especially since the house is on a cement slab). It looks pretty nice and took less than a day (even base boarding after)! I can understand the concern of moisture, but ask the sales person what they can recommend about that. One thing to consider about tile(ceramic) in the living/dining area is that it's much harder (kids bonking their melons) and colder to the touch. We put in "cobblestone" tile in the kitchen of our last home, and bare footed in the winter was like walking on ice. You'll have area rugs all over the place. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of tile and I'll be laying terra cota tile on our back porch.
    Just me, but I always think of re-sale value,so wood floors, baseboards, crown molding, nice window/door trim, and 2" faux wood blinds will boost the value of just about any home (realestate agents drool).

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Last fall I bought a 3000 sq foot brick house built in 1943.
    I thought "Built not Bought" only refered to our trucks. I'v been working all winter on the inside. Now spring is almost here and soon it will be "Landscaping season"
    But its worth it. I have always lived like a sardine in tract homes. Its kinda cool having a old one of a kind house with lotsa room between me and my neighbor.
    Besides I got a 30x30 garage and a 24x24 shop with a 12'door for the K5. So all of the important work is already done. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif