Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone remove their dash?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JST12, Apr 23, 2001.

1. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Has anybody removed the entire dash panel? I need to paint it and removing would be the way to go if it's not too difficult. I've already removed HVAC , radio, bezel, glove box, etc.. and I see the 3 bolts on each pillar. Also looks like the front lip is tucked under the windshield rubber. Any advice, or additional mounting bolts I'm not seeing? Also, ideas for removing ignition switch ring? Thanks, JT

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Better go find yourself one of the spot weld remover bits from an autobody shop, or somewhere.
    There are a lot of spot wilds under that weather stripping to remove, to get the dash out, it is a big pinch weld.
    Did you get the two bolts out at each end the screw into the cab sidewalls, under the dash pad ?
    One trick you could do is to cut the dash off along the slots under the pad, but would have to do it perfectly, then weld it back when youre done.
    Most ppl only remove their dash when replacing with an A/C dash.

Good luck.

'72 K-5 4x4, CST, 3.07, 4 speed, NP 205, 31' x 10.5", Olive green and primer, rusted out, rice smasher!

3. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Thanks R72K5. Looks like more work than I need right now. I was hoping not to have to remove the windshield to paint the top of the dash due to possibility of breaking the glass. Compared to breaking a long series of pinch welds, then rewelding , removing the glass may be the way to go. JT

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I painted the top of my dashboard when I replaced the windshield (also got to hit some rust in the pinch weld area and paint the A-pillars before the windshield got put in). If you get a new gasket and cut up the existing one, you should be able to get the windshield out without breaking it (that's how I got mine out). I broke the windshield installing it with a new gasket. I am told that old windshields lose a bit of elasticity and will tend to break if you try to reinstall them. I ended up having to get a new windshield.

5. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    Did you just slice the rubber lengthwise around the glass on the external side to get it out? Did you use a utility knife? How much $ did you end up paying for new glass?
    Thanks, JT

6. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I have had better results working with glass when it is warm. Warm garage or parked in the sun for a while.

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Yes... Sliced through the gasket with a sharp pocket knife (yeah, a utility knife'd been better - better still would have been a linoleum knife), around the periphery of the glass. Went slow. Made some cuts so that I could get rid of part of the gasket I was working on. I had to resort to using a cut-off wheel on a die grinder to get some of the gasket cut because it was kind of hard.

I think I paid $190 for the new glass, installed. It was PPG shaded glass. I wanted LOF, but the PPG actually has a slightly nicer tint, so what the heck...