Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone replace a windshield?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgetruck91, Nov 17, 2003.

1. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

i got a 88 k5 and i got the glass fromo a 78 pickup. any tips or tricks i need to know about. or even a step by step guide wouold help. thanks a lot /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

The way I've always done it is put the rubber gasket around the windshield and then place some stout string/cord in the channel all the way around the whole kit and kaboodle. Place the assembly into the bottom of the frame with the string ends inside the vehicle. To make the process easier have a spray bottle handy with soapy water to soap up the rubber. Then just pull the string/cord so that the lip of the rubber laps to the inside of the body seam until all of the rubber is inside. Long in explainin but easy in operation. Hope this helps. Good luck to ya.

Allan

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

make sure to go get a tube of the black sealer for the weatherstripping so that it will not leak

the sealer is real cheap /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif go to nearest autoglass place to get one

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how hard u think it would be on a s-10? i got a 87 that needs one..much rather try and do it myself and find a used glass than pay like 130 somethin bucks to have one put in..

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just had a new windshield installed on Friday, $145 installed. There was a big thing on dateline about incorrect windshield installation a while back and supposedly the windshield would pop out during a roll over and help the roof colapse. That is why I just bought a new one and had it installed professionlly, but thats me and I'm kind of anal about that stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i may just go that route anyhow..thats what i did with my k-10, wanted to make sure it was done right

7. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

$125 for glass and a mobile install. they do it where ever my truck is when I call them. Thats service!

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    There was a big thing on dateline about incorrect windshield installation a while back and supposedly the windshield would pop out during a roll over and help the roof colapse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know how much difference it would make if the glass popped out compared to being crushed in a roll. Either way you have no structural support after the glass breaks or comes out. If you are worried about a roll over the best bet is to build a quality roll cage. It is probably going to do a better job protecting you than the windshield /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    anyone replace a windshield?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, tons of 'em. (certified installer) I would normally recommend having a glass shop do it. But, in this case (being used glass) the shop will not warranty it if it breaks during install. But, they should if it leaks. Good Luck