Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone run 63" springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbluethunder, Jan 12, 2004.

1. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

Anyone run 63\" springs?

thinking about setting up the rear with 63" springs and was wondering about issues. Also...how much lift would these net me in stock form (i'm trying to match about 6" of spring in the front).

2. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone run 63\" springs?

i'm running 63's, have had them in for about 6 months, was one of the best mods i did. you will need to relocate your spring hangers, so you can some what adjust your ride hieght by a few inches.the 63's are flat, so with a flip and adjusting the mounting pionts i got about 5 inches. you will need to do some work for your shock mounts due to the travel. other than that it's an easy swap.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What did you do for shock mounts? I don't want to inboard mine, but I need to figure out how to get some additional travel from my rear shocks.

If they only made some shocks with 12"+ of travel that were 34" or 36" long at a reasonable price....

4. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i'm still working on it and trying a out a few options, for now i went to a ford dealer and got rear shock mounts for an 01 superduty, they use u bolts to attach then i flipped them and so far they have worked out not to bad.

5. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [ QUOTE ]
    i'm still working on it and trying a out a few options, for now i went to a ford dealer and got rear shock mounts for an 01 superduty, they use u bolts to attach then i flipped them and so far they have worked out not to bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My dad's truck, which happened to belong to SMP before he bought it has 63's in the rear that have been inboarded. Holy crap talk about a lot of flex. He wants to do the front spring thing like I did too. Im going to try and find a way to cram them under my 89 without inboarding them or hacking too much stuff up.
    [​IMG]

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I think muddin4fun was going to run them (she was telling me about doing 57's up front too). But ever since she moved last month, it's been way impossible for me to get ahold of her. But I will ask her about if she ever did it, and took pics or anything.

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

What I want to know is where to find 63's and on what? Sorry for the hi-jack I didn't think a new thread was needed though,

-thanks,

-Shawn AKA...nebie-bluebie

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

88 and newer IFS Chevy's have 63s. I have a set sitting in the driveway, but I'm going 4 link so I have to get a shipping quote to ship them off to TruckNutzDude(I'm being dumb about boxing them, its not an easy idea).

10. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ups will ship non boxed springs as long as they are tapped up real well /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmmm I think I will have to run up to the shipping place tomorrow afternoon and see how much they want. Will mean shipping 2 or 3 packages(hes getting greasable ORD bushings and bolts from me too) but thats fine.

12. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

that truck is where i got the idea to do 63's to mine. i loved seing pics of that thing flexing. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. after seeing that i was determined to get them under my k5. the 63's are easy to make fit, you don't have to inboard them if you don't want to, all you have to do is relocate the front hangers foward about 4 in., mine are under the body mounts and then relocate the rear hangers back about seven in. i used a set of front spring hangers in the rear, that way you can do a shackle flip and adjust the ride hieght. got the hangers from the gm dealer for $40.00, springs cost me $75.00. i'm doing some front end work now, waiting for the deep freeze to end. i'll try to get some pics in a few days.

13. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

84K5BD, you're the one who gave me the idea to run 63's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Sled Dog, I sent you a PM asking about shipping today, before I read this post. I thought you had forgotten about me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    When I get the springs I'm going to try to run them with the ORD flip I bought from you Bob. I'm also switching to either an S-10 cab or a pickup cab so the rear body mount is going... which will make more room for the spring hanger /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just so I can hijack this post, do you think I could make an S-10 truggy street legal here in Mass.??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You might. Maybe you can register it as a "Street Rod". That is possible in Maryland.

15. TruckNutzDude

TTT searching didn't help much but can you run the 63's with an ORD shackle flip or do I have to sell it for the same reason 84K5BD sold it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was going to run the ORD flips I sold with my 63s. Have to move the front spring mount forward and the flip mount back on the frame. I didn't plan on moving the front spring mount forward much cause I wanted to move my axle back.

17. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

there is no way the ord bracket is gonna fit on the frame that far back due to the shape of the lower rail. it has a dip which won't let the bracket sit flush on the frame. that is why i used front spring hangers.

18. TruckNutzDude

I think I can make it fit if I run it backwards using two of the existing bracket holes and a longer shackle. I will probably end up with a severe shackle angle but since the springs are flat that won't matter much. I don't expect much compression... just a lot of droop. I could always inboard them if nothing else works /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

That was my plan but I was looking for a really good shackle angle. I had some steel added to the bottom of my frame from a previous hitch that the PO welded on. It would have worked out for me I'm sure but I just decided 4 link!

20. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    I just decided 4 link!

[/ QUOTE ]
    :drool: /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you know I'm jealous right /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif