Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone run a fiberglass hood?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, May 9, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have been looking around the net for fiberglass hoods. figure it'd be an easy way to save some weight. One site I found....

http://www.hannemannfiberglass.com/page2.html

has 'em for $225 for my '85. As you can see on the site, it says these are attached via pins. I am a noob to hood pins... how exactly do they work and are they 100% street legal? It'd be cool to not only save weight... but to be able to pop the hood off entirely to work on engine stuff. Its not like the hood gets hit by rocks or anything, so it'd really be no big deal that it was fiberglass and not steel. I would think that there would be substantial weight loss... the factory hood + hinge system must be purdy heavy.

Anyone runnin' a fiberglass hood? Anyone ordered from Hannemann before? info appreciated!

J

2. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I have a cowl induction hood on mine that is fiberglass. check U.S boby sorce thats where I got mine.

3. jekbrown

yeah, i checked out US Body... they are sorta spendy, and all i can find on their site is hoods with cowls and stuff on 'em... I'd like to have the best view over the hood I can get.

Does your hood use the factory mounting hardware or hood pins?

J

4. Joe T

Joe T Registered Member

Had a glass hood on my '74. I liked the access it gave me when it was time to work on it. Only took me a few times to figure out the best way to get it off by myself. Had 5 pins.

5. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I think some hook with pins becasue the fiberglass may not be strong enough to hold the stock latch mechanism. If you are looking for one that is easy to see over I know I have seen ones that are recessed in the middle. Instead of being raised about an inch in the center like factory ones this one had a an area about 4 or 5 feet wide that was set down a few inches, and went back up on the edges to meet the fenders. I suppose you cold compare it to the differences in the hoods on the current s-10 blazers and jimmys. Jimmys are recesed in the middle, kinda the same concept.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Cassidy, does it take two people to remove your's? Do you have the lightweight hinges or all pins?

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Sweet! 88 and later conversion (for my '73) on that website for ~$600 in all glass! That is the L&R fenders & hood plus shipping (ouch $135 to CALI).

I thought I would need a different radiator and lights... but he said No! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I have the hood on 4 pins and I take it off and put it on by myself. the hood only weighs about 10 pounds. the thing I like most is it is much easier to work on the motor because I can take my hood off.

9. jekbrown

hey 79, you have a digital cam? I'd like to see pics of your hood... installed.. and what the pins look like from the top/bottom. That'd be way cool. If ya dont have a cam, no biggie, its all good.

J

10. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I had a glass hodd once. It was held on by 4 pins. This is good for working on the motor, but just try to check your oil or anything at the gas station by yourself. It really sucks. I would like to get one for my 86 K-10, but it will use the stock hinges and latch. For a daily driver, pinned hoods suck.

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

"Its not like the hood gets hit by rocks or anything"

Haha, you'd think that wouldn't you! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I've got some nice dents along the front of my hood from rocks and trees, and NO I didn't roll it! Steve's little Pucker Factor guage said I was at 40 degrees! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif There have been a few times lately where I had to sit on the armrest to drive. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I should prolly add something on the topic huh! haha... I had to do a lot of work on a car with hood pins and they were a major PITA if you have to check something under the hood by yourself. We got so sick of having to take the hood off all the time that we just left it off during test drives. It's kind of cool to see a custom turbo header that you made start glowing in the dark! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status