Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone run a Power Lok?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Nov 29, 2004.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm looking for a LSD that can be set up tight, and from what I've read a Power Lok is the best there is - and yes, I am considering a Detroit but not sure if I want it.

Going in the rear Dana 70 in my Cummins Dodge. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

TARussell is the man to answer your question. He and I are both going with a Power Lock for our front ends and he has been studying different methods of clutch/steel stacking to make the units tighter. He also discovered a way to increase clutch quantity using some D80 pieces.

I'm sure he'll see this and respond. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I agree that the P/L is the most effective L/S available .
    There are several ways to make a P/L tighter by alternatingthe order of the clutch disc's and plates or by shiming things up to have constant pre-load on the side gears and not rely on the ramping action of the pinion gears as much . The problem is that the clutches wear out way to fast . One option is use the newer style clutches offered in the Dana 70's and Dana 80's - they look like they are made of carbon fiber instead of steel disc's with material glued to them .
    There is a cool way to add serious surface area for better grip by mix matching Dana parts but it will not work on your late model Dodge Dana 70 - your rear axle should be 32 spline while the most others use 35 spline stuff .
    If you are intersted I can look at some of my referance material and see the most aggressive way to stack the plates and disc's on a stock P/L set up ? Or if you are intersted in swaping the 32 spline side gears out for 35 spline stuff I give you a lenghty discription on how to almost tripple the amount of clutches in your P/L.
    Tom

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run um front and rear. I have several thousand miles on um too. Oh I have a D44 front and D60 rear. The power-lok is the closest thing to being locked without being locked. I have had great performance from them. But for the rear I would just put a detroit in and be locked in the rear, no need for slipage back there /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I run a Power Lok up front in my D60 and a Detroit in the rear 14 bolt. I would not run the Detroit in a tow rig. They are unpredictable. And Detroit has a disclaimer stating not to run them if you are going to tow. The Detroit will lock and unlock driving down the hiway. This will cause your vehicle to pull when your feathering the gas.

I do like my Power Lok in the front. It is very aggressive out of the box. I had a very hard time steering with the hubs locked in before I got my hydro-assist setup. If it was any tighter it would be a spool. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

I do like my Power Lok in the front. It is very aggressive out of the box. I had a very hard time steering with the hubs locked in before I got my hydro-assist setup. If it was any tighter it would be a spool. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I never realized you had one. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Your description is EXACTLY what I have always been wanting to hear. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. bgreen

bgreen 1/2 ton status

I've been running one in my front dana 60 for a few years, but have not been able to make it tight enough. I have tried all kinds of different arrangements with the clutches, but have all but given up on making it work with 45" tall tires. for 40's and lower, I think the Powerlok is a good option if you dont want to go to alloy axles and ctm's.

My next step is to add some machined spacers to increase the pre-load.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been running one in my front dana 60 for a few years, but have not been able to make it tight enough. I have tried all kinds of different arrangements with the clutches, but have all but given up on making it work with 45" tall tires. for 40's and lower, I think the Powerlok is a good option if you dont want to go to alloy axles and ctm's.

My next step is to add some machined spacers to increase the pre-load.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my worry - being able to overcome it too easily. My issue isn't tire size (I run 35's) but engine torque (Cummins making over 600 lb/ft). Probably will go with a Detroit.......... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

There are also lots of people around here who tow with Detroits in the back. Only time I have heard of it being a problem is with a manual transmission-they lock and unlock a lot more and I have personally seen what that looks like and it's kinda scary /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. bgreen

bgreen 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

That's my worry - being able to overcome it too easily. My issue isn't tire size (I run 35's) but engine torque (Cummins making over 600 lb/ft). Probably will go with a Detroit.......... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never consider it for the rear, but in the front, with 35's I doubt that even with 600 lbs of torque you will be able to slip it if its set up right. (im running a big caddy that is capable of torque numbers close to what your diesel currently puts out)

One of the locals up here is running 40" boggers, and since he did the last mods I did, he hasnt slipped it once.

Even if you do have enough torque to slip it, the whole idea is to have it slip before you break an axle right?

11. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

i happen to have a trac-lok(multiple disk) waiting to be bought. it is out of a 2000 dodge d70 so the miles are low. let me know if your interested.

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Could you post up a picture of that T/L ? I've never seen a Dana 70 T/L . Is it a 32 spline unit ? Thanks , Tom

13. denny_deer

denny_deer Registered Member

Hey,

I just installed a brand new power lok, but i'm having trouble with it locking up in twisted up situations. I noticed you mentioned something about knowing how to stack the clutches to get better hook up. I'd appreciate it if you shared your knowledge and sent me a description. thanks