Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone run a thermoquad on there Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Feb 5, 2007.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

Is it sacraligious to replace a smogger Qjet with a Tquad? how hard would it be to adapt?

2. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Keep the quadrajet, buy a book, read it, learn it, and you will have the best carb. that money can't buy. www.cliffsqjet.com

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have....

The Carter Thermoquad isn't a bad carb,but definately not Carters best one either...the AFB and AVS are much better carbs,in my opinion..

The Thermoquads had a phenolic plastic resin fuel bowl,that supposedly kept the fuel much cooler than an all aluminum carb did..this is why many ended up on motor homes ,especially ones with Mopar engines..they tend to crack easily,and fire is the usual result when that happens..but the Thermoquad was the largest CFM rated carb factory if I recall right,and was used on many big block cars and trucks in the 60's and 70's..did pretty good on gas for a 4 bbl..

The Thermoquad will bolt right up to a Q-jet intake,not sure if the butterflies with hit the manifold though,might have to use an open spacer..I have put Q-jets on a few motor homes friends owned,and they said they ran way better with the Q-jet carb by far..I'd stick with a Q-jet myself..or get an AFB,i you want a Carter carb..those require an adapter to bolt on a Q-jet intake however..:crazy:

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have never seen one that wasn't warped , especially out here in AZ . When I had my Monaco , I took it off and found a regular Carter .