Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone run Monroe Load-Leveler Shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FarmRig, Jun 25, 2006.

1. FarmRig

FarmRig Guest

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Those have been around for many years and do serve a purpose. What I dislike about them is that it stiffens the suspension all the time. If thats not an issue then they do help. I personally just put air bags on the rear. That way it rides just like factory when not loaded and you just add air when you are to level things out. I think the kit we used last time was 150.00 for two bags and mounting hardware. Just add air like an old air shock system.

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I ran em on my 2wd and my grandfather runs em. They really do work well if you have a moderate load, but they are a bit stiff if you have to weight in the back. For their intended purpose, they worked pretty well.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

shock mounts are not designed to carry weight. adding shocks of this sort may cause you all kinds of problems. stock type shocks are known to crack the frame. add more stress to it, and the problem isnt going to do anything but get worse. if you need the extra support, get stronger leaves, or the airbag setup.

5. FarmRig

FarmRig Guest

Alright thank you guys. I wouldnt be putting the full 1200 in the back. Just looking for something to support it when its full of wood or hauling stuff. For $102 for the pair its not bad. I dont mind the stiff ride neither. Thanks again

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

nahh....

Monroe Load levelers have a smaller piston inside,due to the spring wrapped around it--so they don't dampen rebound as good as "Magnum 60's" would..and Beater is right about the shock mounts..air shocks suck for the same reason too...shock mounts are too weak as it is in GM trucks,they rip out of the frame with NO springs on the shocks!..:doah:

You's be better off with a pair of 1500lb coil spring overloads you can get at Auto-Zone for about 20 bucks..they clamp to the axle tubes with a large muffler style u-bolt clamp,and can be removed if need be in a few minutes..

I had them in my trucks,and left them in--they ride pretty good even empty,though a bit stiffer that with only stock springs..Air bags are another alternative,but they are more costly,and can dry rot in a few years and pop:doah: ....:crazy:

7. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Believe it or not my dad helped design them shocks. He has about 4 pattens through monroe :)