Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone run onboard air?(co2)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spongeidys, Mar 30, 2006.

1. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

was wondering if anyone runs co2 tanks for air on the trails....and if so how does it preform, what kinda tanks are you running and are there any precautions to running co2 on a trail truck?

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Funny, I was in 4wp the other day when I saw the brochure for those co2 air tanks. I asked how many he had sold. He just gave me a lost puppy look... he didn't even know they had them.

3. spongeidys

or anyone have any links readily avail to a york compressor setup?

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I have ran a CO2 tank in the past and they work great. I just bought a 20# CO2 bottle and put a regulator and I run tools or air up tires as needed. I'm sure if you do a search for CO2 tanks you will come up with TONS of info about them.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Love It

Definitely do a search there is a lot on this topic.

I've been running it for a couple of years and I'm happy with the setup. I used a fire extinguisher bottle as it was readily available, and I liked the idea of a rugged bottle in the truck vs the lighter, thinner tanks used for draught.

Some things to consider; use an appropriate regulator and guages designed for the pressure and gas.

I found that in the winter the bottle tends to freeze up. I now use a long hose and leave the bottle in the warm truck.

You can't reliably tell how much is in the tank due to the nature of the gas unless you weigh the bottle (I just throw it on the bathroom scale).

There is a lot of work energy available, and no moving parts to fail. It is way cheaper though you do have to refill the bottle periodically.

6. spongeidys

just from the replys here im pretty sure im gonna run a co2 tank, i can get big steel tanks for next to nothing from friends that work at a paintball place then spend the money to put into a proper regulator set up

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I run a 20# when I am on the trail