Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone run Quicktime on a WinXP machine??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Aug 18, 2003.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

A friend sent me a CD with a bunch of Quicktime-formatted ( .mp4 filename extension) videos from Afghanistan and Iraq, and I'm trying to play them. Windows Media Player won't play them, and I can't seem to get Quicktime to install on my machine. The install utility lets me get all the way to the "connect" point, then tells me "A connection with the Apple File Server could not be established", even though I have an active 'net connection up and running (all Windows apps shut down). Anyone have any ideas??

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Sounds to me like you need install a specific codec to view that file. Do you just get sound? Is the name of the file colored red in the playlist on the right side of the Windows Media Player window? If it is, right click on it, and it will tell ya the name of the codec you need. Type the name of the codec into Google or somethin. Find it, download, and install. I had to download a codec a week or so ago to look at a Quick Time file as well. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

So it IS possible to view a Quicktime file in Media Player?? (filename extension .mp4)

4. Zeus33rd

I did alittle searching and found this infor for ya-
    http://www.channel101.com/mp4help.php

Scroll down to the "PC Users" section. There's a link to download a plugin that will allow ya to watch the .mp4 extensions in WMP. 761kb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone running Quicktime on a WinXP machine??

Thanks! I did a little Google-ing myself and found a plug-in for mp4 playback in WMP. I think the site was mpegable.com. The vids my buddy sent me were cool!
    Unfortunately, I still can't get Quicktime to install to view a couple other clips I've found online. One is 2 minutes of gun-camera video from an AC-130 gunship during the first days of OEF, and I can't even remember what the other is now.

So the original question still stands for anyone else...
    How do I get Quicktime to install on a WinXP machine?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. Zeus33rd

I run XP Pro and have Quick Time installed as we speak. I don't remember anything about the install procedure, so I can't help there. Maybe try downloading the install app. for QT again? Perhaps it was corupt. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Another thing, I just did a software search in Kazaa Lite for "quick time". Came up with several different downloads for Quick Time Pro and several different key generators. QT Pro is a pretty big download, around 20MB. Anyways, somethin to think about. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

This is the 3rd time in nearly 9 months that I've tried installing QT. Each time, I've tried deleting the install app and re-downloading it numerous times, with negative results. It's either something goofy in my XP settings, or it's the keyboard operator/monitor observer. I'm thinking it's the latter...
    Oh well, thanks for the help!