Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone run these?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, Mar 8, 2002.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ok, time to start thinkin performance. Who on here runs underdrive pulleys? if so how many %, what brand, pick up any power, any ill effects (i.e. overheating, poor AC performance etc.) anything else? oh yeh, who on here runs a throttle body spacer? same questions except for the ill effects bit. unless theres somethin there that would cause probs im unaware of. Ive heard some of these helix bore intakes and such dont do much. that true? thanks

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have one of the TBI spacers, it was one of the orginal ones from TD Performance. I can't say I felt any noticeable power, although it did seem to help throttle response. The one negative with them is that it is hard to get the TV cable adjusted correctly afterward...it throws off all of the throttle cable and trans positions...although I have heard that most come with spacers and things now...if I had to do it all over again, I don't think i would...just my .02

3. Instead of the TBI spacer, I bit the bullet and bought a brand new Edelbrock Performer TBI intake for my 89 Blazer and I noticed a big improvement in torque and horsepower. I used to put intakes on my carburated 350s and was skeptical about a aftermarket intake on the TBI, but I think it was worth the $260.00.

Later,
    Doug

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

First off look at the real story with a TBI spacer... you are adding upper rpm hp if you get anything at all. You won't notice anything down low and anyone that says they do is obviously experiencing the I just shelled out a hundred bucks so "I Think I Might feel a little something etxra". Dyno's don't lie. Sapcers can add some big hp to race motors at the upper rpm level, but for a stock low rpm application... save your money.

I agree the intake would be a good idea. The heads arfe really mediocre and the cam isn't all that great on the TBI motors. You best bet is save your bucks and swap heads, intake, and cam... maybe upgrade the TBI. This is the only realy good way to gain more power. Little things to final tweak the stock setup would be a dual snorkle stock like air cleaner assembly w/ 2 tubes running to cool air outside the engine compartment. Headers and exhaust upgrades are great on these trucks. Also an INJECTOR spacer gets the injector spaced up a bit to let a tiny bit more air in, and it is only 20 bucks. I can't speak for sure on it dyno wise, but it makes scientific sense. Those bowl's that you weld or rivet onto your stock air cleaner assembly also are a dyno proven winner across the the mid to upper rpm range if you desire that. I also think a msd coil, hi-quality taylor or msd wires, and plugs gapped at .050-.060 is a great mod as well.

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

BTW... I would stay away from undrive pulleys. They don't free up as much hp as you thi9nk and most street and offroad vehicles need all the cooling and electrical output they can get

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I agree... I dont want to compromise my cooling or charging, expecialy with a winch for a measly few horsepower that it might gain.

Ken H.