Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ANYONE RUN W/OUT STEERING STAB.?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLUESMAN, Aug 11, 2002.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    While wheelin' this weekend,my stabilizer unbolted.I Unbolted the other end and ran the rest of the way home.I did'nt noticed a difference in steering or wheel shimmy,in fact I think it's better now.I think it's another part that's not going back on.Mike

2. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

steering stabilizers are nothing more than shock absorbers for your steering.. mine is basically worn out and i need a new one cause my steering sucks but id say its a personal preference... was the one that came off new or old??? if it was old you might be surprised at how much a new one would help.... just a thought /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

3. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Don't have one of those or a sway bar on mine .. drives just fine without them. No sway bar for almost a year and no steering stabilizer for several months now. I drive mine every day on the highway 70-75+ mph to and from work. No problems.

4. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i ran without one for a little while. tracked straight on the highway, turned on a dime...but the first time i hit some nasty uneven pavement...like washboard stuff...BAD NEWS! thought i was going to lose the front end of my truck. finally figured out what the stabilizer is for.

haven't run a sway bar in three years, but i don't drive it like a porsche either. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

5. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I used to run without a swaybar and without a stabilizer- on 35" swampers with no major drawbacks. This was when I had the factory "front to back" steering though. The problem came when I went to crossover. BAM....Deathwobble in the worse way! The only bandaid for that was a hydraulic ram.

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've got a worn the plum out stabilizer. I really need to replace it.
    From what I understand, the stabilizer helps cut down on the wear and tear of front end parts. As much as offroading jars the front end around, I think I'm going to keep that little sucka on there /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I never needed one untill I went with the big tires, now its kinda neccesary for street driving, especially the freeway.