Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone runnin a power steering cooler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FRIZZLEFRY, Aug 10, 2002.

1. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

My power steering works ok but its kinda crappy when the fluid gets realy hot.I have an old 8.5x15" trans cooler lyin around and I figured I would use it as a power steering cooler just to see if it helped at all.I plumbed it into the return line.

Anyone else run a cooler. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 89 blazer has a factory power steering cooler. I cannot say if it makes any difference or not but it is there from the factory. If nothing else it allows the system to hold more fluid capacity which means it should run cooler.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Yep, mine works great. I used a small crossflow tranny cooler. The stock pump doesn't complain at all, even turnin 37's.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've got one too, a small tranny cooler and am running synthetic fluid. Haven't wheeled it yet since the crossover/AGR/cooler install but figure it can only be a big improvement over no cooler with all that added capacity. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

My '85 dually came stock with one, and a '76 Merc wagon I had came stock with one too.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those old Ford products are a good place to get 'em cheap. I've got a nice one that came from an old LTD wagon. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I havent installed one yet but I have a few laying around. Some tranny coolers some PS coolers. Ill decide which one Im gonna install when I install the Hydro Boost soon. Even if it doesnt help, (which I cant understand how it couldnt) I cant see where it would hurt to have it.