Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone runnin the 38x12.50x15 Swampers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

been eyein these for my next set of tires...Wanted some opinions and pictures if anyones got some. I want 38's, but not sure about what width is appropriate. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

nope, they are too skinny. if you are in the mud, they might make good pizza cutter type wheels. get the 38.5x14.5 TSL SX's

of just get some 39.5's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Anyone running the 38x12.50x15 Swamper\'s?

I'm running 38x13x16in tsl swamper's /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif they have worked great for me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone running the 38x12.50x15 Swamper\'s?

your in the mud a rain /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IMVHO, was the tyres get taller, a wider tyre helps stability. Hazel found out the same thing on his ram charger. He ran 37" boggers, but when he went to the 42's he found the added width helped lateral stability.

but everyone needs/uses different set ups. I personally thing 39.5x15 is a good all around tire, not supprisingly because that is what i run /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've ran those tires in mud racing and they rocked. In mud bogs, well thats a different story. If you are going a general use tire. I think the 38" Radial Swamper is the way to go. They ride nice and they air down really good. I would like to have a set for daily use.

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Thats the size I want next.Either the SXs or bias ply TSLs.I like the tall & skinnies /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I figure if ya stay with a skinnier 12.5" wide tire it wont put as much leverage on yer Dana 44 knuckles and stuff as a 14.5 or 15.5 would.(I know,wishfull thinking but it sounds good /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am running the 38x13x16s tsl. I have had good luck with them on the soft stuff and the rocks. They are not as skinny as you think on 10" wheels. I went from the 36x12.5x16 tsl radials to these. If you do any road driving, the radials are the way to go. If you're mainly an offroader, get the bias ply.
    [​IMG]

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I run 38x12.5 bias and on the rocks they are incredible. The first few trips weren't so good, but once I got the sidewalls broken in they are great and will get traction and pull up over things that wider swampers seem to spin on. If you drive on the street get the radials though.

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

am i the only one who runs regular TSLs on the road every day? what am i missing? i mean i love my TSLs, but if radials are that much better i'll reconsider my next set.

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Anyone runnin the 38x12.50x15 Swamper\'s?

i run tsl's on the street and have no problems a little bumpy first thing in the morning but not bad

11. Zeus33rd

My truck is my daily driver so I guess the radials get the nod....Although I think I'd be willin to put up with the bias ply's for the stronger sidewall. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Although I'm alittle confused as to all the different Swamper designations....TSL, TSL Radial, and SX. TSL is, I assume, the bias ply right? TSL Radial...Duh. SX....What the hell is SX? The max size listed in the SX's is 38x14.5.....So I'd assume those are radials too? Whats the diff between the SX and the TSL radial? I'm lookin at a National Tire and Wheel ad in Petersons, and they list the 38x12.50x15's in the SX for $215 ea. And in the TSL for $181 ea. No 38's in a 12.50 width for the radials, only 15.50...To wide for my tastes. Also these will probably go on a 15x8 8 nlug with 4" bs. Opinions?

BTW-DP 90K5....I love the way those look on your truck. Thanks for the picture.

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    am i the only one who runs regular TSLs on the road every day?

[/ QUOTE ] Nope I run 16x38x15s everyday. And my preference is to the wider tires. Better stability on the road, more footprint on sand, and more tread to dig in mud.

Wide vs skinny debate has been going on as long as I can remember. There is no definate answer.

13. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

TSL SX's are bais ply with reinforced sidewalls and a bit of tread extending onto the sidewalls. They give you more sidewall protection which is very helpfull in rocks or roots. I run the 38.5x14.5x15 SX's on 10 inch wheels and you would be surprised how skinny 14.5 inches is when it is 38 inches tall. I run these on a 14FF and a 10 bolt with very few problems. I recommend these to everyone I know. 38.5x14.5x15 TSL SX= A+

P.S. These clear my 85 K5 with only a 4 inch lift 1 inch body and some moderate fender triming (front only)

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have run both the 38x12.50x15 and 38x16x15 (both on the same 10" wheels) and, while I liked both tires, the 38x16's worked better for me in the mud. The narrow tires really dig hard so it seemed like I was always getting stuck and yet I don't remember feeling that way with the fat ones. Either tire is excellent but my preference is a fat tire.

BTW - the SX series tire is still a bias ply tire but the sidewall construction is supposed to be stronger than the regular TSL.

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the SX's are the most hardcore Swampers on the market. they have sidewall "claws" that help get out of ruts, over rocks, etc. and have EGGCELENT sidewall protection.

they are hard to balance, but no one complains of a weak sidewall.

16. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    they are hard to balance

[/ QUOTE ]

That's no sh!t. BUT, I agree, they are the best tires on the market. Marginally worse than Boggers in the mud, but infinitely better road manners. That is a tradeoff I can live with on a DD. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Zeus33rd

Hmmm.....Decisions decisions...The 38x14.50x15 TSL SX is only $8 more per tire over the 12.50's....The TSL Radial in 38x15.50x15 is $283.....Too wide and to much $$$$. So I think it's gonna come down to the TSL SX in either the 38x12.50x15 or the 38x14.50x15....ARGGHHHHH!! What to do...what to do!! lol! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I run the TSL 16X38.5X16.5 Tires and they work for me. A friend of mine had the SX's and they came apart on him so I stayed away from them (sorry). You really need to decide what you will be driving them on. Mud, Rock, Snow?. If you will every need to drive them in the snow, the skinnys will handle much better. For Mud, Sand and Rock, I'd go with the wider ones. I think they look better too. It's amazing how skinny the 14's or less look when you get into a big tire. Here is a picture of mine. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]
    Here is some more pictures a little closer up when I mounted my Beadlocks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Actually yours look surprisingly small compared to my 16x38s on a 15x14 wheel.

I really need to update my webshots pics w/ some on the current set up. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif But there are a few shots of it while I was still working on it. This is a funny looking pic from the morning I did the front swap, it has 29s on the front and 38s on the rear, but it shows how different they look in comparison to yours.

Pure Insanity....... Pro Street style /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

weird. Alot of the PBB guys run the SX's and there are no problems. Lance did a write up on his grooving of 38.5 SX's, putting them on beadlocks and beating the cap outta them.