Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone running 2.5 ton rockwells????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5-newbie, Jul 26, 2004.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

Went to a tuf truck comp this weekend and saw a couple of nice rigs running rockwells. It was mostly tube buggy's but there were some toyotas with some also. Just wondering what it would take to make these work on my K5 and if it would be worth it.

Anyone here have an opinion??? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Thanks

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Rockwell's are f'n massive. I don't know what you have to do with your truck to actually need them. Seems almost counterproductive since they are so heavy.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dont have them, but rockies kick azz! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif sure they are heavy, but atleast all that weight is way down low. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif because their diff is top loading, most people seem to need quite a bit of lift to fit them under a k5, think i read somewhere that 8" of suspension lift was a bare minimum... not sure though. I know there have been posts about runnin' rockies though, maybe a forum search would yield some good info...

j

4. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

Thanks Jek...did a search and didnt really find anything. Maybe i'm not putting something in right, but i did a search for 2.5 ton rockwells and just plain rockwells, found a lot of posts but nothing specific to what i was looking for /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. I'll keep looking.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Here's a thread I started about them a few weeks ago. There seems to be a large amount of debate about this swap. After hearing all the opinions and seeing the work/money involved I'm staying with my Dana 60/14 bolt combo. I'll just beef the front axle with better outer shafts and call it a day.

link to the thread

6. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

thanks for the link...it helped alot. I'm gonna talk to some of my buddies running these monsters and get their opinion. My ride is 10 bolt stock at the moment, so if I can get 2.5 tons of axle as opposed to 1 ton of axle for roughly the same price, I may end up with the rockwells. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

That was the same boat I was in. I could get rockwell's for $750 or a set of 1 ton axles for $400. I got the 1 ton's and re-geared them, welded the rear and I'm adding a spool to the front. I think it's much nicer having the 1 ton axles and I might get rockwell's for my next project. This truck sees way too much street to be on 2.5 ton axles. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Contact Ballsoffire, he runs them and he's in Tejas also...

9. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

What questions do you have? Here's my opinion:
    1-Very, very, heavy 2-one gear ratio 6.72:1,don't plan on driving much faster than 40-45mph 3- they cause axle wrap more than stock axles which means 4 link suspension or heavy duty leafs, drums brakes-can run pinion brakes but they are not without problems-mainly burning up pinion seals. 4-have to get custom wheels 5-rockwells are much wider than d60's 7- they don't turn as sharp as stock axles. and most important-most alloy axle making companies will tell you the outter stub shafts in these axles are just about the same strength maybe even less than a 35 spline d60. They are cheap to start with but you may spend much more making them work like a nice upgraded D60. Steve

10. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

You might want to contact Boyce Equipment. They do a lot of 2.5 axle conversions.

11. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

balls of fire , aka Jeremy, is running rockwells with around 6" of lift with 48" Michelin tires. His setup performs well. He just bought some axles and stuck them under the truck. The rear was not a difficult task but the top loader really gets in the way in the front. He made several custom brackets and stuff to get clearance from the oil pan, exhaust, etc. Jeremy is the king of guy to just figure stuff out as he goes along. He was dead set on making them work and they do! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif