Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running 200R4 trans?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gm guy, May 25, 2004.

1. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Vancouver Island but work in Ft Mcmurray Alberta C
    Any comments?

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

never heard of a 200R4. Do you mean 700R4?

nick

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

200R4 is the OD out of cars like the Buick Grand National.

They can be built tougher than most 700's but I think to use it you have to go divorced tansfercase.

I've heard talk of this before but I have no idea if anyone is running one.

I think that it has better gearing than a 700 but I'm not positive.
    I just know that they are big with the GNX guys.

4. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    never heard of a 200R4. Do you mean 700R4?

nick

[/ QUOTE ]

200R4's came in GNX's (Turbo Grand Nationals) and Turbo Buick Regals. They run in the 9 sec. range.

5. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

They are the same length as a th350 so I thought it would be a easier and better switch than the 700R4. Anyone have info on the divorced transfer case issue?

6. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

They actually came in a lot of different cars in the late 80's. They are a BOP pattern tranny. They are a direct replacement for TH350 and don't have as deep 1st gear (would think in a 4wheel drive deeper first gear would be desirable) They were the first to be built up compared to the 700r4 but the aftermarket has steped-up and they are comparable when built. I am not sure if any were used in trucks. I plan on putting one in my camaro, here is a very informative site I found on it.

http://www.montecarloss.com/SSThunder/drivetrain.html

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's actually a 200-4R.

It was put in fullsize cars and never was hooked to a transfer case. The reason why people build it up is because the internals are a bit beefier and the gear ratios are better spaced (even though the first gear is taller).

first: 2.74
    second: 1.57
    third: 1
    fourth: .67

700R4
    first: 3.06
    second: 1.63
    third: 1
    fourth: .7

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you will have to run a diversed tcase because they do not have a removable tail shaft like the 700r4, th350, th400

9. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Using a divorced transfer case would require total driveline mods right? Doesn't sound like I want to use one, th350 it is!

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yep, it would require driveshaft mods. you would have to make a drive shaft from the tranny to the tcase, lengthen the front, shorten the rear. if youn have a blazer its not posible, because the rear would be way to short.

11. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I don't want to even go there! Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    yep, it would require driveshaft mods. you would have to make a drive shaft from the tranny to the tcase, lengthen the front, shorten the rear. if youn have a blazer its not posible, because the rear would be way to short.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are running doublers in Blazers. If that works, a divorced transfer case is not impossible.

13. gm guy

gm guy 1/2 ton status

Thanks but I would rather not even get into that. Customizing drivelines is not something I plan on learning or experimenting with. Kudos to anyone who does though! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sorry for using "search" and reviving an old thread...... :D

Has anyone used one of these in a 2WD application? Like a tow rig?

I have seen a lot about them in the car mags....same length as my existing TH350 (in my 2WD Burb), so I thought it MIGHT be a slick way to get an OD gear without major changes.

4L80Es are sweet, but VERY long and plenty of these -> $$$$ if you need a standalone controller.

:thinking:

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A guy on this site did it Clicky

Seems easy , move the crossmember back , your shaft may need fabbing if you have the long th350 , speedo cable hooks up etc .

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've been reading either Super Chevy or CHP and came across an article on the 200r4.

The Grand National valve body was apparently the "hot setup" according to the article too...but they said they are getting hard to find (and expensive when you do!) Apparently, someone is now making a similar part so you don't need to pay the big bucks for the GN item.

Like anything, I'm sure a built 200r4 is still going to cost some bucks....but the GV Overdrive is ~$2600 these days....that's not a trivial solution either.

:yikes:

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You could also go 700r4 , which contrary to popular belief does not just blow up the second you put it in gear :D

18. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

They work fine in a Suburban tow rig to my surprise.. We put one in my buddys 89 2wd Burb 2 years ago and it's still going strong.. He uses it as a DD that requires him to drive sometimes 50-100 miles one way depending where he is working beings he is in the logging buisness.. He has also taking it on 4 road trips that he went over 1,000 miles one way.. It is also used to pull his 19 ft fishing boat almost once a week during fishing season when it's 100 degrees.. Not counting pulling car trailers and other utility trailers for work.. So I think I can say with confidence that after all he has put it thru I'm impressed even though I had my doubts about it when we put it in :D

He got it to replace the 700r4 that went bad and needed a tranny right away and he found a guy he knew that had the 200r4 for $100 bucks :eek1: That was another reason I had my doubts but he couldn't find a 700r4 so we went with the 200r4.. The only thing that was not a direct bolt in was the crossmember.. We had to move it because the 200r4 did not line up with it in stock location.. It did throw his speedometer off by about 12mph but he picked up a speed sensor box and that got him closer to about 3-4mph difference.. If it quit tommorow I couldn't say anything bad about it because it has more then done it's job time and time again..

So if you were thinking about going that route then I say go for it if you can pick one up for a good price.. I was doubtful at 1st but now I'm a believer so if I was in that situation I wouldn't hesitate to run one myself :waytogo: