Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running 37s?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JST12, Jul 10, 2001.

1. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

I am gettin the meats soon and really want the 37x12.50 SSRs. Has anyone put them on a 1st Gen? I have 6 inches of lift, and don't want any rubbing. I don't mind trimming the fenders a small amount. If anyone has 35x12.50, does it look like another 3/4 inches will fit? (the 37s are really about 36.5)
    Thanks buds,
    JT

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

....yes but 35's are usually only about 33" [​IMG]

Sorry to be a bummer, but there might be a bigger diameter change than you are anticipating.

-Greg72

ps....But by the way, I am VERY interested to see a photo of how those 37" SSRs fit on a 1st Gen. I have a 6" lift on mine, and was thinking about using that exact tire. Post some photos if you can.... [​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Greg72 on 07/10/01 06:16 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

I'm going to put 35's on a 6" lift. Would 36's fit alot better?? How much would it affect my power. I read somewhere on here not to go higher than 35's with 3:73 gear ratio.

<font color=red> AMIGOS SO. CAL </font color=red>

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

There is a great article in the July 2001 Four Wheeler magazine (pg. 62) called "Math Quiz"

It shows a lot of common formulas for figuring out gearing, tires, etc.

For example...here's one you need. To figure out an equivalent gear ratio when adding larger tires

Divide the old tire diameter by the new tire diameter and multiply by your current gear ratio...

Ex. 33" tires to 36" tires with a 3.73 ratio is: 33/36*3.73 = 3.41 effective ratio.

Your 3.73 gears will now "feel" like 3.41 gears with a larger tire. That may be why people are telling you to watch out. Usually major tire changes require gear changes too.....just to keep your engine in the right powerband.

Check out the article....there's a lot of good stuff in there. Also check out the "Is Lower Better" article about gearing on page 50......did you know that lower gears (numerically higher) will allow your transfer case and transmission to run cooler? I didn't either...... [​IMG]

-Greg72

5. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

I will post photos if I get these tires, but I was really wanting to see someone else's 37s before I bought mine. I will get either the 36x14.50 TSL or the 37x12.50 SSR. Maybe I can convince the guys at the tire shop to mount one of each and let me check the fit. I have 4.10 ratio so this size should be OK still.

Is anyone running 4.10 with 35s? How are the revs and power? Do you think you could go bigger on tires and still be OK, or are you on the edge of acceptable performance? I have 35s on other trucks with 3.73 and would not go with bigger tires.
    Thanks,
    JT

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just put on 36 TSL's. They rub bad w/ a 4" lift (my 33's rubbed a little in the rear). They rub worst at the "fang" area at the front of the front wheel well. I don't think that 2" more lift would make much difference in this area. I am going to trim them out as soon as I get my truck back from having the rear end welded. After I have them trimmed I will be able to tell you more.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

7. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Triaged, Thanks for the info. Are you running 12.50 or 14.50 width? Are you saying they rub at the rear of the front fender as well as the fang area? Can you post some pics?
    You da man!
    JT

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have 36x12.5R15 TSL's. When flexed my warn down 33's rubbed at the front of the rear fender (with about 1.5" to spare at the rear). I will have to trim the front of the rear fender to where the support strut connects to the bottom of the quarter panel. I still don't know if they rub at the rear of the front because they hit the fang area so bad. I will be doing some trimming today but just enough to get me by untill I have my friend help me so it will look OK.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

9. 69blazergirl

69blazergirl Registered Member

I've got 36" 12.50 Swampers w/ 7" of lift and a little bit of fender cutting and they look a little goofy, too much wheel well showing, my next set is going to be 38's, I can email pictures if you want to see...

10. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I'd like to see. Please.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

11. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Definitely would like to see photos. If you could post, that would be great, or email me at jt_k5@hotmail.com
    Thanks,
    JT

12. EricM

EricM Registered Member

I am running 36x12.5 swamper radials on 16x10 wheels with a 4"skyjacker lift in front and 6" in tne rear with new body mounts and ORD 1" body lift. I did some major trimming (at least I think it's major) to get them to fit wile flexing but I think it looks pretty good. I am sure 37's would fit if you are willing to trim. Check out the pics.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/18330032yuGMlhVwfO>http://community.webshots.com/album/18330032yuGMlhVwfO</a>

EricM

13. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

Eric, Great pictures.

Did you need to cut the rear wheel wells or just the front?

Thanks,
    harry
    69k5

14. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Thanks EricM. Also, did you trim your inner front fenders as well as the outer? JT

15. EricM

EricM Registered Member

The front fender was trimmed as follows:
    front wheel well: 1.5" below body line
    rear wheel well: bottom of fender 4" back angled to meeet wheel opening at body line

the rear was trimmed as follows:
    front of wheel well: 5" up from bottom angled down to body support. (I might redo this to meet with the body line just for asthetics)
    rear of wheel well: 4" from body line cut off all the way to rear bumper. Then 2" back from wheel well opening was angled up to body line and cut off.

any other question just ask.

Eric M

16. EricM

EricM Registered Member

I didn't touch the rear inner fenders. The fronts will need to be trimmed though. After I cut a notch on the bottom rear of the front inner fender I tried heating them up and pounding them back with mixed results. One side turned out good the other side still needs work. I am thinking of cutting it now and fabbing a peice to cover the hole from plastic or thick rubber to keep mud and salt from getting in the hole.

EricM

17. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status