Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running 38.5's with a 4" lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, May 30, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Anyone running 38.5\'s with a 4\" lift?

Just wondering if anyone is running 38.5's with a 4" lift that has a picture, toying with the idea of fiberglass front fenders, the ones with the bigger openings and having a quality body shop open the rear wheel wells (after I pick up a Dana 60). This project is starting to get out of hand.

Steve

2. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone running 38.5\'s with a 4\" lift?

I don't have them, BUT if anyone wants to donate them... I'll put them on my 70k5 with no lift. Been wanting to do that for awhile but the tires would be worth more than the blazer.

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

4 inch lift and 38.5 are my future plans but for now, i dont have any pics.

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

No picture, but heres my story. In a Petersons 4-wheel mag a long time ago they had a pic of a step-side Chevy pickup with a 4 inch lift and 40x17 Gumbo Mudders. He took a lot off the fenders, but made it look really good. Its definitely possible...just need to find a really good body shop I guess.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

are you talking about that '62 chevy that was supposedly built under 3200 dollars??

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've wanted to do this for a long time ever since I saw a Bronco with 36's and no lift. It had the fiberglass racing fenders on the front with no inner fenders. The bedsides were cut off and glass racing ones were grafted on. There was also an article on offroad.com about a 74 K5 done the same way. I know it will work, the hardest part is making new brackets to hold the battery, fluid tanks, etc. that has to come off the inner fenders... unless you want to make custom inners. The only thing I'm worried about is the long term durability of the fenders. Usually these are only intended to live through one race, even though that one race probably gives it more punishment than I would give it in the next 5 years. If you decide to do it let me know how it turns out. Those fenders would look perfect on my truck with the custom pre-runner bumper I'm building.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Steve

What brand of tires are you looking at running? If Swampers, does this mean you are planning on the running 38.5" bias plys?? Just curious since your rig is a daily driver.

Brian

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I wouldn't do this as long as it is my daily driver, just something I was thinking about for the distant future. MT is coming out with a 38.5x16x16 this summer, maybe in the next two years Super Swamper will come out with a 38.5x14.5x16 in a TSL radial like they have for the 16.5", just dreaming right now.

Steve

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Steve,

Check out ROCKBLAZER, he was February Blazer of the Month. http://www.coloradok5.com/toddbeutel.shtml He has 38" swampers on a 4" lift. He may also be able to help you with your questions.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ouch! Looking at the first picture of RockBlazer, it would seem that the 38's meet the rear edge of the front fenders pretty solidly with only a 4-inch lift.

HarryH3 - '75 K5

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

A few kids at my school have fiberglass front fenders on F*rd Rangers, and I think they look good and allow for tons of tire clearance, but I don't know how strong they are. They don't take their trucks offroad, so its not an issue for them.

Brian

12. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I had a old set of 38" swamper i used on the street for a while I have the 2.5" rancho lift,It is equal to my wifes 4" lift.The tires hit the back of the fenders on any good size bump.My front fenders are only trimmed in the front of the tire though.I think it would take a lot of trimming to run these tires with out hitting.As for the fiberglass fenders they are cool but the ones I have seen flare way out so if you use the rig in tight spots they would probaly be damaged.Also what is with everyones affiction with the large axles.They just add more weight and take away precios clearance.You can build the smaller axles up easily with the right parts.With the smaller axles you won't need 38's for the same clearance.Brady

13. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

This isn t a k5 but it is a chevy
    has 4 inch lift and 40"
    got the pic from off-road.com

14. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

i mean gmc

15. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

I am running 38.5's with only 4" of lift. However, I am strictly after large tire (more ground clearance) and low center of gravity. You would be amazed at what it would take to actually clear a 38" tire and not rub a little. A little friendly rubbing doesn't bother me, but if you had a nice paint job you might not like it. I took my fender all the way back to the inner fender wells and sometimes still rub under severe wheel stuffing.
    For the gentleman wondering why the big axles, i can only tell you this, after being able to change axles quicker than my socks,(ok not that fast) it was time for some beef. 3 years ago there wasn't any warn axles, or wild horses. So it was necessary to go with the 60 and 14 bolt. It was necessary in order to comfortably run 36"-38" tires and I did the conversion for under $1000, for both the front and the rear. That included both axles, hardware, new wheels, calipers, pads and some hardware like brake lines and u-bolts. Another note... check around a little bit, and you will find that those Warn axles are not as strong as they hoped they would be.
    The ultimate dream set up... reverse cut 9" both front and rear, with at least 35 spline stuff! That would give you excellent ground clearance and beefy insides! Oh they do make it.... for a bout $2500-$4000a piece! Can you say Currie?

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

16. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The only problem with the reverse cut 9"ers is that Currie DOES NOT recommend them for tires bigger than 35. Wow, great, real strong for only $4,000 per axle!!! NOT!!! Save your money, buy much stronger 14 bolts and 60s and DEAL WITH THE FRIGGING GROUND CLEARANCE PROBLEMS, ya whiners!!!
    J/K!!! LOL!!

I am running 39.5" Swampers on 12" wide rims on my '77 Sub with 12" National springs (soft, ride great!) and the tires rub the rear of the front fenders when turned and stuffed!!! Time for some fender cut outs!! Also, I ran some 38"x12.50" Swampers on the wife's '90 Sub with 6" Superlift and they rubbed going up driveways when turned!!! Never did cut out the fenders, just put on some 35" ATs!!

ken

17. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

ken, do you have a pic you could post of your sub? That thing sounds really cool.

Brian

18. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I'm working on it! Gotta save my pennies to buy a dig camera. BTW, my new colorado k5 website is www.onetonsub.coloradok5.com although nothing is up there yet!!!

ken