Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running 38+, ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by elkboy, May 21, 2001.

1. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I just put a set of 39.5x15 TSL's on my blazer and took it out for it's maiden voyage. The steering was much less responsive than I thought it was going to be. The ball joints, tie rods, drag link are fairly tight. The steering box has a bit of slack(100,000 steering box). I have run 36's before, but nothing this wide or tall. Should it drive fairly nice on the road or is it just going to be a pig? Is the little bit of slack in the steering box causing me problems? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG] 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

hey norm i want pics [​IMG] lol i would get the slack out of the steering box and see how it drives then also talk to scottie and see how his do you both have simaler sized tires send me a pm if you want to talk to him and ill give you his number oh and post some damn pics lol[​IMG]

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

They're pretty bad on the road, mine are on beadlocks and I don't think that helps. How did you drive it? Mine were really flat spotted when I first got them, and they did get better with a few miles. With a single stabilizer, I had uncontrollable shimmy around 30-35 mph, went to triple stabilizers and got a few miles on them, much better.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Are you running crossover steering? This will help some but definitely take out any slop you have in the steering linkage/gear box. Did you check the ball joints? I don't have a steering dampener on my K5 and it drives great with 38" TSL's, crossover, and all new steering linkage/gearbox/king pins. The factory tie rod will flex a bunch under the load of 39.5" tires even though it doesn't bend. This causes wobble and steering problems and eventually could bend the tie rod. I suggest running a beefed up tie rod.
    CB

1973 K5, 400TPI,TH350, 203/205, Dana60/Detroit/5.38 front and rear, 38" TSL's on steel wheels
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.azk5.coloradok5.com>http://www.azk5.coloradok5.com</A>

5. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I have a 4" suspension lift with a raised steering arm, no crossover steering here. The tires run pretty sqare for the first few miles, but they don't shimmy. It just seems like the tires take a long time to catch up to any steering corrections, slugish response. I didn't expect it drive like a sports car, but I've driven old farm trucks that handle better. I'm going to re-torque everything tonight, I'll let you know if it gets better. How much does the steering stablizers help, I'm still running the stock one.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG] 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.