Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running a 2 piece front driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, May 15, 2006.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Due to the need for a shorter front drive shaft and more extreme driveline angles after the Atlas install, I think I will need a two piece front shaft.

I think my 1350 HAD CV will work. It doesn't look like there will be interference with the 700R4 pan due to the way the Atlas is clocked up. I know there won't be interence if I can use a 2 piece shaft. Will there be an issue to use the CV with a 2 piece shaft? I know I can get more angle out of it than a standard 1350 joint...

Does anyone have pictures or am I breaking new ground here?

DP

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

HMMWV's have em and I have seen it done on a jeep to clear an oil pan once but I don't have much firsthand experience building anything like that

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I dont see how a 2 piece shaft will cure angle problems. its just going to make it that much worse for that second joint.
    You either need a 1410 CV if your 1350 one cant handle it or do what I am going to do and run a 1410 superflex joint at the t-case end (there good to 42*).

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The 1350 CV is good to 32* and just laying it out, the anlge looks more severe than that at the case. I won't know for sure until I get everything installed. I don't think there's enough room for a 1410 joint. My thoughts were adding another ujoint in the middle would help reduce the angle on the case side. Does this make since?

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You might be able to decrease the angle at the case, but it will increase it at the pinion.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

But the pinion can be rotated up (with a lot of work).

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to go through the troubles of turning my knuckles.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Give some thought to a single joint at the t-case. I ran a single 1350 on both ends of my front shaft on my last truck, it had 10" / 4spd / 205 / D60 so the front angle was pretty steep. I admit I did have to clearance the t-case yoke to allow enough droop but once done I never had any problems with u-joint breakage or binding.