Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running a 502-HT ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I wouldn't mind having a 502-HT for the K5. One day I might be able too afford things like that once again. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yep, have 7 of them all have 3 flux capacitor carrier cores and make 13,897 bhp on offroad diesel mixed 50/70 with 100 octane leaded avgas... my daily driver and it gets 73.87 mpg with a powerglide and pull start..

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    yep, have 7 of them all have 3 flux capacitor carrier cores and make 13,897 bhp on offroad diesel mixed 50/70 with 100 octane leaded avgas... my daily driver and it gets 73.87 mpg with a powerglide and pull start..

[/ QUOTE ] OT is great for screwing around, but I TRY to keep it real in the tech forums. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Looks like about stock Caddy 500 output at 10 times the price.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not one too leave a motor stock, and preformance parts for a big block Chevy verses a Caddy motor are a BIG factor for me. Can you get Thorley Tri-Y headers for that Caddy motor in a K5 ??? Things like that come into play for me. Granted, I can't afford that 502-HT right now, but who knows what the future holds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i get to play with dozens of 502's on a daily basis, quite fun /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif just put a roller-cammed TPI in the other day...

the marine industry is absolutely loaded with BB chevy stuff. i'll leave the big block in my Chevelle and stick a 383 in my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif for now. for now /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[​IMG]

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In THAT case, I'll take the factory-fresh Caddy 500 for $492.50 please!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifI was thinking more along the lines of a cheap junkyard engine with a rebuild

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In THAT case, I'll take the factory-fresh Caddy 500 for $492.50 please!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take one of those too! Make sure the paperwork for the warranty comes with it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Caddy's cant rev high from what I hear and in a mud truck (mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) you need RPM's. I'll take my Vortec 502 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ill take the bus...

12. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the Caddy might not be the best mud engine out there. I read that the OE valves start to float around 4200 RPM. Also if you go much above 5000 RPM you have to start looking into shaft rocker kits I'm told...it's a shame, i would have liked to have had one of those lightweight mills. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

502 Ramjet /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But I think the 502 HT would be a better chose if you are putting it in to a 4x4. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    The Ramjet comes with a short water pump and a long water pump with reverse rotation would have worked better for some of the after market pulleys and bracket for the ALT. PS. and AC. after you get all that worked out you can always put on TPFI and be money ahead /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Better yet save you money there coming out with a 572 CI crate motor /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Nothing like at torque of a big block /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

502 , i hear parts snapping. i'd do it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    502 , i hear parts snapping. i'd do it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ] It'll be awhile befor I could afford one. I'm thinking in like the next 3 or 4 years or so. The local Chevy dealership wants $5,200.00 for a 502-HT longblock. [​IMG]

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

They probably won't make them in 3 to 4 years. Seriously. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    They probably won't make them in 3 to 4 years. Seriously. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, with my luck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

ive seen them 502's in some camaro's around here and man can they smoke the tires all the way up the road! I want one in my truck but i know id have to do a lot of upgrades in the driveline. When i was over at mikes a dualie with race slicks for the back tires came up there to get a gooseneck put on and he had a 502 under the hood and we made a little burnout patch for him and even that truck did a good long burn out. I dont see why they wouldnt still be here in a few years And the 572 they have now is for like NHRA racing but they are coming out with a streetable 572 soon!!

19. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

In a couple years everything will be based on the next gen BB, the 496. Dont know how long they will continue producing the GenVI block

20. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    but they are coming out with a streetable 572 soon!!

[/ QUOTE ] It's out it's like 16000 dollors