Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ANYONE RUNNING A COMP CAM EXTREME ENERGY 4X4 CAMSHAFT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

if so, do you like it? what size? any other comments? thanks, Brian

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have heard of a few that are and are pleased. I am looking at one myself. I just am having trouble deciding between the 231 and the 235. Which one are you looking at?

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

I have the 235 in mine. Loads of torque, nice idle.

My K5 Buildup: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/gettin_deep>http://www.geocities.com/gettin_deep</a>

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

so, i assume they work well with the tbi stuff? i've thought of getting one, witch one would y'all reccommend?

people that get good mileage aren't having any fun!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

They make an extreme energy one designed specifically for FI vehicles. It isnt 4x4 extreme, just regular extreme energy. I'd get that because its designed for what you have.

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>

6. I'm not. just wanted to post!

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

7. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have the 231, slightly noticable torque, good idle, shoulda stepped up but diddn't want to mess w/ anyhting on the heads.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye!

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

you need the 454 cam... the kit's PN is 11-206-3. I love the cam, couldn't ask for anything better. GOBBS of torque, flat idle, crappy(er) mileage! What else can you ask for in a cam?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I do, in a 305. It really has a lot of power. You can make all the 305 jokes you want, but I'm happy....and I have more power than any stock truck 350.

I have the smallest grind small block Xtreme 4x4.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. chevysrule

chevysrule Registered Member

power? out of a 305? isnt that an oxymoron. No j/k if you can pull adequate power from a 305 then more power to ya

11. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Uep Im running one in my 383 stroker.Talk about torque!Only thing is I think I shouldve went to the next size up but oh well!

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I have one, for the project, not installed yet, so I don't really know how it's going to perform.

But, checking it out against the R/V cam I pulled out of the old block (that performed nicely in might add), this one looks to be even better. You can see that the ramp speeds are quicker, thats ruff on the valve-train, but good for Low-RPM power. It's the 218/2?0 somthin' SBC grind. (Not sure of the exact specs, I don't have the cam card handy) I plan to play with the cam timeing, advance it 4 degs. and see what happens.

Side note;
    It looks to me that the extream 4X4 cams really favor the exhaust side of the cam (SBC grinds). The other extream cam lines and other manufactures, arn't as kind to the exhaust side.That would lead me to belive that Comp-Cams expects the 4X4 buyer, not to have a free-flowing exhaust sys. So they "added" some timeing to the exhaust side to compensate for this. (just a theory) So, If you do have a good exhaust sys, I might consider another Extream cam (not the 4X4 line). I don't cut cams or have a dyno, so take this with a grain..
    Best bet is to call the Tech-line and ask them.

<font color=blue>Wow factors
    A SBC (4" X 3.48") with 2" intake-valve at 6,000 RPMs:
    1- The piston reaches a maximum speed of 60 MPH

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

No, power out of a 2.8 V-6 in an S-10 Blazer is an oxymoron! Did you know some of those things came with a four banger????? That must've been SSSLLLOOOWWW.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat