Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone running a floor shifter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by timebomb1602, Apr 13, 2001.

1. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

Hey I was wonderin about floor shifters in late model k5s.....anyone running one? I was thinking of a b&m truck megashifter....any thoughts?

<font color=red>1991 GMC Jimmy 350tbi 3.42</font color=red>[​IMG]

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

im plannin on 1 but havent got that far yet.hope to see some pics 1st.im not sure if the center console will be in the way or not.it can be mounted in front of it but if its not at arms reach from a reg seated position it wouldnt be much benefit for slammin shifts.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

3. doonjumper

doonjumper 1/2 ton status

My buddy just installed that same shifter a few days ago and I just got mine in the mail yesterday from summit. Its awwwwsome. He took out is junk box (oh I mean center console) and placed it there. The pic in the mag shows a different base than the one pictured. I think the one it comes with looks alot better. If you have a summit catalog look at the base that comes with the Hurst V-Matic 2 right across the page. That is the one that it comes with. One side note if you mount the case backwards with the slope facing the rear of the Blazer it fits alot better. Installation was a snap just make sure that when you mount the cable bracket to the trani pan that the cable is PERFECTLY PARRALELL to the shifter fork otherwise you will have to change out the cable in just a few months. The kit comes withg two spacers for this but they aren't enough. We used the bigger spacer in front and the smaller in back with a rocker ball so it would line up. In case your wondering a rocker ball is the half ball that is used in the rocker arm of an engine. I added that in so you would know what size of spacer I was talking about. Once installed it worked awsum. You could hit the shifter as hasd as you want and it would only go up one gear. Perfect for racing up bumpy sand dunes. It also seemed that it shifted faster cause the trani fork is litterally being slammed into gear instead of just slidding in. I don't know but it seemed like it to me.

[​IMG]

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know I'd stick with stock. You have to leave the stock linkage hooked up anyway, (neutral start) so whats the big deal with it being on the column and out of the way? IMO they look bad...big long spindly handle for an automatic.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have the B&M Truck Megashifter, and it is sweet! It looks awesome, and is so much easier to shift than the damn column mounted shifter. I love ratcheting through the gears! I got mine here from work (man, I keep this place in business! ha,ha) I think you would love it, in my opinion. I didn't have to move the console, it fits right in front of it, and I simply notched the right side of the cover to fit over the edge of the transfer case shift console. It really looks nice, and again, it so much fun!

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have the B&M Truck Megashifter, and it is sweet! It looks awesome, and is so much easier to shift than the damn column mounted shifter. I love ratcheting through the gears! I got mine here from work (man, I keep this place in business! ha,ha) I think you would love it, in my opinion. I didn't have to move the console, it fits right in front of it, and I simply notched the right side of the cover to fit over the edge of the transfer case shift console. It really looks nice, and again, it so much fun!

Oh, almost forgot, yes it is in a late model - a 1987 K5

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Mine has always had a floor shifter, oh wait it is a stick shift. LOL

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm with you Dorian, on the tree and out of my way... I got better uses for that money, the floor space, AND the time to install. However, that is what personalizing is all about so, have fun guys, it's just not for everyone...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Any chance for a picture? Would like to see your setup.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>