Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running a LT1 in a Blazer that gets wheeled hard?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5-newbie, May 1, 2005.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

trying to decide between a TPI and a LT1 to put in my Blazer. The only thing about the LT1 I don't like is the optispark on the very front lower part of the block. I would like to hear from anyone who is actually wheeling a Blazer with an LT1 in it and let me know how it holds up.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No firsthand but always been told that Optisparks are really suceptable to water and dirt. I'd run a TPI setup with an LT1 intake(oh wait thats what I am working on)

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

my buddy has a 97 z28 and he hit a little puddle and the opitspark craped the bed

4. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

HUH??? can you elaborate plz

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

my friend put lt1 in his truck. he said NEVER AGAIN . to much crap and opti spark is worthless in it for play. any time crap is on it it craps out. and the power band is not for 4x4 use.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

www.lt1intake.com Not for everyone I'd say. It breathes better up in the RPMs than a TPI intake. But you lose low end. My engine is a 383 so I'm not too worried about a little low end loss.

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

not the complete

the lt1 block is a damn good block but i wouldn't swap a complete lt1 in for the same reasons posted before.

the lt1 block has one of the highest nickel contents of the sb's which means it has longer life and is also why it is one of the most sought after blocks.

8. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

looks like im going TBI. Maybe mild TBI 383...need to start some research. Thanks guys!!

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I have to disagree about the LT1. I DID run a TPI in a trail truck that got lots of mud and abuse, and never had any problems related to the swap.

But the only weak point I can see with the LT1 is the Opti, which I have replaced with a Delteq system in my LT1, which is bulletproof. This unit would easily take mud and water (all the wiring is water tight) so that takes care of the Opti, although it costs $600.

I don't know what more you could want with low end torque. I have a '97 LT1 6-speed and with 275/40-ZR17's I can't put the hammer down until halfway through 2nd gear without just smoking the tires. It's got WAY more low end torque than my TPI did.

I'd go with the LT1. Be a pioneer!!! People thought I was nuts for putting a TPI in a trail truck (back in 1994 people were just now figuring out how to put them in cars!) and I ran it hard on the street and the trails for several years. The LT1 is the same way right now. Not many out there, lots of nay-sayers... If I had the cash I'd do it.

I'll try to find some torque and hp curves for a stock LT1. The torque curve is very flat.

10. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to clarify the above... I loved my TPI truck and like I said before I never had any problems even though it got covered with mud and powerwashed at the carwash. It made great power and I would recommend the TPI for sure.

The reason I was pushing the LT1 is that, now that I've had both, the power difference is substantial, and I don't think you'll see any trail problems besides the abovementioned Opti, which you can read about at www.delteq.com.

Good Luck!

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The Gen II and Gen III motors are superior in almost all ways IMO. I could put a stock set of LT1 heads and an LT1 intake on a Gen I TPI smallblock(with a healthy cam, both before and after same cam) and pick up an easy 40HP. LS1s, they are their own world. If I ever get to building a buggy you better believe it will be LS1 powered.

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I seen a buggy on tv with a suburau (don't know how the hell its spelled) motor out of an sti...... 300 hp turbo charged 4 cylinder. thing was rippin it up. it was greg biffle's. pulled wheelies on demand.