Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running a performance cam

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76_Cheyenne, Jan 21, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I've just started looking into maybe getting a more radical cam for more juice. Anyone got one in their rig and care to share about it? What brand did you get and which one is best for performance offroad and on road.
    thanks /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

as far as brands I like crane or comp, I dont like edelbrock they seem to soft. as for the grind it depends on what your after high rpm's or low.have you done other mods that would be helped or hinderd from a big cam, you need to match it all up.

3. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

well, im going to put an edlebrock performer intake on and a K&N 14" filter assembly. I also have a set of performance headers on there.

I drive my truck on the freeways around 2700 at about 60-65 miles an hour with my 4.10's. I want someting that works well around that RPM but I use my rig offroad and need lots of torque. Plus anything that helps with fuel is a bonus. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

sounds like your headed down the wright road. edelbrock makes a cam to match that manifold but i dont like there cams so i would find another with a simalar grind. but any mild cam should do you good.

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I have used Comp Dual Energy and the 4x4 Extreme cams in truck engines with good results. Don't remember the exact specs, but the lift was in the neighborhood of .442/.465. My brother is running the next size larger in his 400. Great low end.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Cam choice really depends on what you want to do with your truck. Sence I'm going to be on mostly trails in the forest, I'm going for low end torque. I'm really intrested in These [​IMG]

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I've had good luck with a crower "Baja Torquemaster" model cam. I don't know if its still made but worked great in a couple of SBCs I ran em in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I'm running a Comp High Energy 268 grind. it seems to provide good low end. this is in a 454 with edelbrock 750cfm,holley intake, ported and polished heads, keith black pisons, balanced.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

blazerkid does the HE268 give you a little lumpy idle in a big block?

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

How bout 268 with 88 TBI 350.Need to do engine this year and want mure than stock. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I ran that cam in my 400 and I liked it. I run a slightly higher cam in my 454 now. About a .510 lift or so. Didnt notice a lose of low end either.

12. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I have a Crane Energizer 282H06, it is a 470-lift, 282-duration, it is a 106 lobe seperation. It's what alot of people used to call a 3/4 race cam, and actually it said 3/4 race on the end of the box when I got it. I really like the way it sounds and it has alot of power as soon as you touch the gas. It would probably be a little much for what you are needing. My truck is driven almost only offroad and has a built 400. I would recommend that you take a look at the Crane Energizer cams, I have had good luck with them and they are reasonably priced, Jegs has the cam and lifter kit for $109.00.

13. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

It gives teh big block a noticably lumpier Idle, yet it is still smooth enough to be able to lug down to 500 RPM if need be. It also provides really powerful low end.