Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running a stall converter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Aug 26, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone running a stall converter?
    I know i've asked this a while ago...
    I just ordered up a 1,500-1900 stall converter, it is rated about 500 -700 rpms above stock stall speed. But it should flash below that. I think this should be good with a mildly hopped up 350 with a cam. And future plans for a higher revvin 383 or 400. Or even big block.

Anoyne running a stall converter in their blazer or truck?
    How about some oppinions? Do ya like it... i'm sure its cool for the street, sand draging, and mud romping, but how about crawling?
    I've been in a '72 K/5 with a 3,000 stall and it was just too much even with the wild 388 engine.

How about a B&M stage 2 shift kit? Anyone with oppinions?

Thanks.
    Ryan

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    What transmission do you have?

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yep, 2400 stall. No in rocks and Deep snow. Yes in everything else. The no is because it is difficult to get the wheel control for very slow traveling. You can get away with it some by power braking and using the brake as your control but this really heats up the tranny. Before I go to Moab next year, I will put in a standard converter and then change back for mud racing season.

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I've got a stall in my truck that they say is a step above stock. I like it alot, I don't do any rock crawling so I can't say how it will react to that, but it does great in the mud /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. Ryan B.

Oh yeah... its for my TH350.

I have a 3,000 stall in my camaro and theres no way i'd want that in my blazer. So i know how stall converters act.

2400 seems a bit hight for my tastes...
    The stall that is a bit above stock sounds like what i'm after. I'm mainly trying to build my truck up for street and sand draggin (being my daily driver) although it will see hollister and some crawling a few times a year.
    It sounds like its what i want for a quicker launch from stoplights and sand draging but i don't think it will be great for hollister creeping along the trails.
    If it's under the stall speed then it will just be generating heat and slipping and ultimately shortening the life of the tranny... Only one way to find out for sure though... trial and error.
    maybe a better tranny cooler and a temp gauge is next as well.

I know Crawlin70 has a stall converter, and Tori89K5 has a 2,000 stall in his blazer i think. Lets hear some more oppinions.

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Instead of using a B&M shift kit for that 350, you could remove 3 of the 4 checkballs and put a washer under the spring that controls main line pressure... that'll give you a good 1-2 shift. If I remember correctly the only ball you need to leave in is the one on the same side as the accumulator and towards the rear of the vehicle. B&M has a PDF file on their web page on how to do this.

7. Ryan B.

cool thanks.
    do you have a link for that?
    i found something on the b&m website but they only have info for a th400 and th700r4. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

HEY BRO
    i had a 2000-2200 rpm stall in my truck. i liked it even for crawling it gives you some play.just make sure you run a externial trany cooler cause they cause your trany to build up heat. i am going to try the 700r with out a stall and see how i like it.