Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running an atlas II transfer case?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Mar 19, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am still trying to decide on what to run. he is the list (all with 4.56 gears)

th400, 203/205 with 3.6:1 low for 203 for a final ratio of 81.42:1

700, 2.7:1 klune-v, 241 for a final ratio of 102.48:1

700, 2.7:1 klune-v, atlas II(4.3:1) for a ratio of 162:1

What fo you guys think I should do? Any info on the atla II would be great.

Thanks Dan

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

162:1 is awfully low behind an auto, Esp. with the (roughly) x2 that the torque converter slippage gives you. You didnt really factor that in.

Also, ive heard that the atlas is not very happy with fullsize weight like ours? That was one of the big things about the doubler, it can handle much more truck than the others.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Does this mean your not selling the K5? I hope not. I really like your K5. It is sweet, and the best part is you don't have to really worry about to much body damage.

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I am still deciding on either doubler or atlasII,--you are in the phx area right?? i would think the doubler would be enough but if you REALLY want some lower gear than the atlass. i havent heard really anything about the klune, but the doubler is bullet proof and the atlass ive gotten mixed results . I asked the ?? about the atlas and a couple people (dont remember the names) said thay have broken some d60 stub shafts but never the atlas. they make the 32 spline outputs f/r and that is probably what I would do for the atlas. but im second guessing the doubler because that is now bolt on. (what im looking for right now)

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I asked this question about 3 weeks, 3 months ago and sometime early last year. Do a search under my name you'll find more opinions on this. I couldn't make up my mind between the doubler and the atlas, but since WMS come up with a way to put in lower gears in a 203 I'm going to go with a doubler for sure. If its not low enough for me(and it wont be)then I'll have WMS install their low gears into the 203 gearbox. That would put the doubler at 7.2:1 giving you 4 options. Now my only dilema is deciding on a 700 or 400./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't have much experience with true western style rock crawling but we do have lot's of rock steps and a few boulders to contend with, here the Jeep guys either go with the 4:1 conversion for the stock t-cases or the 3.8:1 Atlas (with around 4.56-4.88 axle gears). Anything lower just doesn't have any practical use around here. On that note I can't imagine that stacking a 2.72:1 Klune-V AND a 4.3:1 Atlas together would give a first gear that could ever be practically used, or at least needed, on a trail (I can't even imagine having the money to buy both).......though the option of having the choice of using seperately either a 2.72 low range or the 4.3 low range sounds neat (that's the reason I like the doubler over just a plain Atlas because you have more options). If you do go this route, better make sure the axles are super beefy because in 1st gear, double low, it would probably be putting enough torque to the axles at idle to break 1/2 ton stuff!

7. DesertDueler

Yes I am in the Phx. area. My crawl ratio is almost the exact same as Marvs with his doubler (within 1 point) and I think my truck goes over things to fast. If I went the doubler I would use a th-400, so no overdrive I would go down to 3.73 gears so I could drive it to the trail. I have a th-400/203 siting in my garage, but not sure if I am going this route. I just tought that if I am going to spend the money to do the doubler, rebuild the th-400, spend 1000 in the lower set of gears for the 203, then why not just buy something that will pretty much bolt in for the same price. Yes I do realize that the klune-v and atlas are more then the doubler combined, but less seperatly.
    And Harley I am still thinking about it.

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

When I get the $$ (when will that be?) I am planning on running the Klune-V in front of a 241! I have seen Doublers in action, and it just doesn't seem low enough to me...and with the Klune you have so many options...the Klune-Vs are supposed to be real tough, as are the Atlas and also the doubler setup...now that I have my D60, I think I am ready for major torque multiplication! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. DesertDueler

Well the slower you go, the less you break. Its kinda hard to wheel hop when you cant go over 3 mph /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. BADASSBLAZE

BADASSBLAZE Registered Member

This is how my Crawl Ratio will be with the setup that I'm planning on running in my K5:

700R4: 3.06:1
    times
    WMS modded NP203 reduction box: 3.6:1
    times
    NP205: 1.96:1 (In case you hadn't noticed, I'm going with a Doubler)
    times
    4.11:1 axle ratio
    equals
    roughly 89:1 before torque converter reduction.

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i can get 1.32 with a sm465 and doubler and 5.13. but i will be running 39.5
    that will be fine for me. and if i need then i can win the lotto and buy a klune.
    but i dont foresee that.
    Grant

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just be careful you don't get a tire wedged between two rocks!

I agree that one of the biggest downfalls with using the doubler with the TH400 is that you don't gain much low range as compared to a 700r4/241 combo (9.72:1 vs. 8.32:1).......factor in the higher axle gears needed for decent highway rpm's without having overdrive and it's pretty equal.

13. DesertDueler

Thats why I want to do something other than the doubler. If it becomes a trailer rig I would put a dana 60 in the rear and do 7.17s with the doubler, but I like driving it to trails, so I like being able to cruise at 80 mph, like I can right now. I also get 16 mpg at 80 mph with a q-jet /forums/images/icons/smile.gif