Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Running Cookie Cutter Boggers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Feb 14, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey everybody, I'm approaching my axle swap and have started hunting for tires. I really want to go with 18x39.5x16.5 Boggers, however, they're pretty spendy. A friend in the club I'm in is looking to get rid of six (yes six) 38.5x11 boggers. They're a great deal and I like being able to have two spares that I can rotate in. However, they're awefully narrow. I'm running 33x12.5's on my DD now, do I really want that narrow of a tire on a heavy off-road only truck? This is going to be a trail truck so it kinda has to be a jack of all trades, but I'm just worried about sinking to the bottom of holes with these things. Any input would be appreciated.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you run any trails at all, I'd avoid them. They're good for mud bogging but that's about it.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was actually thinking the other way around. Some of the pits around here don't really have bottoms to them, so if you don't have enough flotation you're going frame deep.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The idea with running narrow tires isn't so you'll sink in a mud bog, it's so you can steer (more ground pressure on front tires). With any luck you'll be going so fast you won't have time to sink.

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

There is nothing wrong w/ them on trails. White-Rhyno ran them for 2 or 3 years and loved them... he just upgraded to 42's recently.

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Why not go with the 38.5 x 15 Boggers? Last time I checked they were only $212 a piece which is much cheaper then the 39.5 Bogger.

7. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

just turn your blazer into a dually =0)!!

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Because he knows someone that has the 38x11's for sale used, he's not buying new.

Originall poster,

I wouldn't buy that set new but when it comes to used beggers can't be choosers sometimes. They will work fine in mud as long as there is bottom there and it isn't too deep. Out here where I live in our rice ground they would be perfect since hardpan is only about 12" to 20" down.

In bottomless mud I would definantly avoid them, the 39.5x18 or even the 35x16 like mine would be a better choice for maximum floatation.

On trails and other types of wheeling besides sand I would be they would do fine. Avoid sand like it's the plague.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Because they're about 35.5" tall and 12" wide.

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Not boggers, but i run Q78 TSL's on my K5 and love them. They are even skinnier than the boggers you are looking at, and i dont have any problems at all, even in sand it still does fairly well. Pizza cutter boggers are what i hope to run next, either those or a set of XML's.

11. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Yea i ran those boggers for a long time. Actually went through two sets. THey definatly had their pro's and cons. Like tim is saying, if there is no bottom to what you are on, they go down in a hurry. But there has been times where they definately acceled on the trail. Ask leadfoot067, seattlek5, or dominator, i walked all over those guys going up a muddy hill climb and i didnt have a front locker then. They went through the 2"-3" of mud and right to the hard stuff, where as the wider tires actually had a hard time.

If i were to do it over again, i probably wouldn't have gotton them. When they did good, i loved them, but there were days i hated them. Need something a little wider IMOP.

12. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

OH and another thing, my front d44 absoulty loved those tires. I only broke two u-joints in that front end, then i went to non greasables and never had a problem. Might be something to think about.

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

He first stated that he wanted the 39.5's but they are too expensive, he doesn't really like the 38.5 x 11's as they are too narrow, so just giving him yet another "affordable" choice. He never stated he would only buy used. :rolleyes:

14. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Interco's site claim's 38.4 and 12.5 wide. thats taller then my 38.5 x 16's and only .5" narrower. You sure about the 35.5" because I was thinking about this tire as well.

15. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I love the looks of the 38.5x11 Boggers, if they are priced right nab em:waytogo:

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

this guy is a trail rider and no one has any conserns about the lateral stability of the bogger?
    that is high up on my list.

but cheap boggers and spareS cant really pass that up

17. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

The 38.5's ive measured taped out to 36.75-37" tall, mounted on 8.5" wide rims with 5 pounds of air in them, measured from the ground to the top. The 37x13's run real small, they are the ones that measure 35" tall mounted on 15x8's and with 30 pounds in them. I dont know where Tim pulled that measurement from.

18. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Have you ever run a set, or at least ridden with people who do?

They work fine in the muddy trails here in the midwest, sidehills and all. Lateral traction of a bogger seems to have been blown out of proportion by web-wheelers more than the "Killer Dowl Pin" in the NV4500's.

19. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Buy'em if they are cheap enough, to get you up and going.
    Some people believe pounds per square inch, -tractive effort-=traction but others will say sqaure area which is why we all air down.
    Either way they'll be taller and better than what you run now?

20. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A guy in our club has been running a set of the 38.5x11 Boggers on his way-built Toyota for several years. In the Midwest style terrain they seem to do just fine and I've never really seen him have any more issues with slipping sideways than anybody else.