Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running dual or single electric fans?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Mar 27, 2002.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I have to replace my radiator and since I'm going to put my 3" body lift on, I figured I'd head to an electric fan. A single 14" would work, but would dual be better? Either way, I'm still going with at least the single set-up. Thanks!

2. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

With a single 14" FAN you will be okay, until you get STUCK in traffic or the mud. Then you wish you had 2 FANS......

3. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I'm running a single now 16" picked it up cheap and I'm going to put on a 12" as a backup like on the camaros and birds. Plus I'm going to run a tpi and the ecm so should wire right up. Made a big difference and putting a new 4-core hepled too. DO NOT use the cheapy straps that go through the radiator though. If you want a good way to mount them pm me and I can explain it to you.

Good luck
    Chris

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I second that on the cheapy straps. I didn't use them for my tranny cooler, they're crap.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Desert Dueler (I think) and I coincidentally run the same single fan in our rigs. We both run a single fan from a Ferd. Mine is from a V8 Tbird and his is from a Tbird SC. Same fan tho it seems. He lives in Arizona and I live in Fla., You dont find many worst conditions than that. Neither he or I have problems w/ overheating. And BTW, I run a 2 core radiator. My 3 core got messed up when I installed it. (got dropped)

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>What year thunderbird do these fans come off of?

7. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

dual 14's with switches. I didnt want to wire it in with a t-stat, just for simplicity reasons, i just switch them on automatically when i start the truck, i dont even think about it anymore. One thing i do have to change is to add some relays, i keep burning the switches up. BUT i love the way they cool, esp. at low motor rpm's when a std. fan would move less air, these baby's are crankin all out. My leaky ass radiator is getting replaced by a 3 core soon, so i doubt ill ever worry about heat too much after that.

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have one of the Ford Tbird SC fans as a puller covering about half and another working as a pusher on the other half. It has never over heated. I used the zip ties to hold it on and when I went mud bogging mud got on the blades, when it turned on it was off balance and the zip ties thrashed the radiator causing it to spring a leak.

9. Pure Insanity

I dont recall what yr it was but it was prob a later 90s. The fan is a 2 speed. I run it on low now, and will wire the high speed up when I get the A/C hooked back up. I do remember the car I took it off was one w/ the smooth bumpers, so it was most likely a 97 or so. The car I got it from also had a 4.6 if that tells better on the yr. I dont recall what yr the 4.6 motors went in the TB.

10. Pure Insanity

I am also against the zip strips. They are total junk. I have seen a yota w/ a elec. fan hooked up by the strips, and the weight of the fan alone took out the cooling fins and trashed the radiator.

I have mine hooked up to the keyed circuit, so that when I power up the rig it comes on.

11. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i was gonna hook them to the keyed circuit, but i wanted to be able to leave them on if i turned the truck off. Rather that do both (I REALLY Hate wiring) i kept it simple and just put in 2 switches. its second nature to switch them on and off now. i can also leave the fans off on cold mornings and warm up the motor a little quicker.

12. Pure Insanity

Cold mornings only happen twice a yr in Fla. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

I had a toggle switch on a fuel pump once, (dont ask!) it was easy to remember to turn on. Forgetting to turn it off is why I no longer have the car. Can you say car-b-que? So needless to say I dont trust my memory enuff to NEVER forget. I have too much wrapped up in my motor to trust my memory.

It actually took you more wiring to run the wires to the cab than it took me to do mine. Ill bet I have less than 3 feet total wiring, and thats including the extra wire of a relay.

BTW, what advantage does leaving the fan on give you? None that I can tell. When you shut down a rig w/ a mech. fan the fan stops. The water isnt flowing around the motor, so its not doing anything to aid in cooling. Unless you run an elec water pump drive, and leave them both running. Im not a big believer in thermal dynamics either.

13. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

not a believer in thermodynamics?

my man, it's all about thermo! the laws of thermodynamics govern everything!

i think you have a point about running the fans post- shutdown.....

i'm wiring mine with on/auto(thermoswitch)/inhibit..... soze i can choose...

greg

14. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Mine is from a 90 Ford Thunderbird Super coupe. They are a little over 200 bucks brand new at Ford and definatly worth buying new. It has its own fan shroud built in. I used two pieces of aluminum to make straps for it. My firebird has yet to overheat, and I havent hooked up the high speed either /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. Pure Insanity

OK let me rephrase that....Thermo in an older (our) engine. If thermo dynamics worked we wouldnt need a water pump. And we wouldnt overheat in a few min when we sling a belt.

I remember reading a test on the Extang bed cover being run an SS454 a looong time ago. It was some kind of high speed test. The truck slung the belt but they were able to keep going on the thermo circulating the water. I dont think Id recommend it, but it worked in that instance. It was something to do w/ the water passages in the "new" (at the time) 454 heads, or the direction of flow or something.

16. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

yeah i realize the WP stops and real cooling ends when the motor turns off, and I HAVE toyed with the idea of an electric pump, but thats just $$ that i dont have right now. I guess its mostly mental, but i feel like every little bit helps, cant hurt nothin havin some air moving thru.

I've never forgotten to turn them on, if i did, i think the Temp gauge would let me know pretty quickly, if i dont turn them off i can hear them when i get out of the truck. (Actually, i hear them in the truck too, they vibrate the hood from all the air flow)
    I probably should get the adjustable t-stat, i just think its kinda badass to flip all sortsa switches when i start the pig up.

17. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run an electric pump and fan, and only one time did I forget to turn them one. It was at like 4 in the morning. Luckily I caught it when it was at 250 degrees. Turned the pump and fan on and it dropped to 160 degrees instantly /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. Pure Insanity

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i just think its kinda badass to flip all sortsa switches when i start the pig up.

<hr></blockquote>

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif LMAO!

Prolites are a GREAT way to make sure they are on. If it gets toasty, youll have a real brite lite in your face. LOL!!

19. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Hey, who doesnt feel cool jumping in a truck and pretending its a fighterjet? The metal toggles only make it worse.

20. Pure Insanity

I have the ones w/ cool flip up covers. They are actually out of a helicopter. My friends dad worked for Hughes Helicopter. Still does too, but I think its McDonald Douglas now tho.