Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Running Electric Cooling Fan(s)??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ford_assassin, Jan 19, 2004.

1. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

I am considering swapping out my stock clutch fan for a electric fan setup.

Anyone running this?

I just wanna be able to keep everything cool, while saving alittle HP and mpg.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 2 electric fans out of a 2000 toyota camry but I haven't installed them yet. I am still wondering if they will pull enough air to keep my 400 cool.

Hey, by the way I was down in Fresno Friday till yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

do a search for windstar fans on here.. they pull pretty well.. so do taurus fans if i remember correctly.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I have one 16" right now, but it doesn't pull enough to keep the engine cool under heavy load conditions like wheeling up big long hills and such. Keeps it cool on the street though just fine even idling in a lot of traffic. I think i'm going to add another 12" fan or something as an aux. fan with a switch to it.

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I'm running a single 14" 2950cfm fan and it works great!
    Bill

6. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

What brand (and part number) is that?

Thanks.

7. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I run a set of fans off a lt1 camaro, They kept my blown 355 in my ta cool and have no problem keeping my crate motor cool. They pull lots of air only thing is they are loud.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I run twin 12" fans on my daily driver and it stays cool. Well, it doesn't go higher than 210.

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I run the Winstar setup on my 71 ElCamino and will be installing a set on the blazer later this spring. Sandman has also installed the Winstars. The Mark-VIII single fan will pull over 5000CFM by itself but its loud /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How about camry fans? Has anybody used them? I haave 2 camry fans and I am wondering if they can pull enough air.

11. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    do a search for windstar fans on here.. they pull pretty well.. so do taurus fans if i remember correctly.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey Cable... I was searching the Pick-n-Pull(off the 99 at Jensen ave)in Fresno a while back and I saw a buttload of V-6 Taurus with the twin fans still attached... might be a good starting point...

12. Tweetysuarus

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

What brand (and part number) is that?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the web site and part number.
    Perma-Cool
    Bill

13. 88Silverado

I dont have any experience with the Camry fans.
    The thing I like about the Winstar setup is they are almost the exact size of the radiator and only minor trimming is required. Im sure there are several different factory fans you can use. Its just how much of the radiator do they cover and ease of installation.

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I used the windstar fans and it was very easy. The only trimming that I had to do was to cut the shroud some to clear a radiator hose that goes to the radiator instead of the water pump. Without that, there would have been no trimming. It fits almost perfect with like a 1/2 to 1" gap on the bottom is all.

I havnt had a chance to really use it yet but is does move some real air sitting in the shop. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I run a set of fans off a lt1 camaro, They kept my blown 355 in my ta cool and have no problem keeping my crate motor cool. They pull lots of air only thing is they are loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you running a fullsize radiator? How did the LT1 fan setup line up? Any pics?

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not that you asked me, but I've got the same fans (or maybe mine are LS1's...only difference is the "shroud" is cut out in places for better airflow on mine, "other" style the shroud is "solid".) out of F-bodies.

Just worked out the fabrication details with my dad. The LS/LT1 fans are a bit narrower (maybe 1-2") than the "fullsize" gas radiator, and a few inches shorter than the radiator. They use goofy mounts (2 "hooks" on either side to hold it in place) and across the top, one "bar" that apparently fits in between cast "fingers" that protrude from the top.

Going to take two straps of metal from the factory truck shroud bolt holes in the upper radiator supports to the bottom of the core support, and angle iron across the bottom of the core support, which will bolt to the lower two stock shroud holes. All three pieces will be welded together obviously. Lower part of the shroud is perfectly flat, apparently the sides and upper portion of the shroud are all that kept it in the f-body.

Not sure what I'm going to do to hold the shroud "down", but I'll probably use round stock from one side to the other, weld nuts to the backside of the "straps" so as not to need a wrench on the backside. I could of course forego all this work, and just fix the fan in place, and unbolt the whole assembly when removal is necessary.

Would have loved to make it out of aluminum, but local store doesn't carry it, and it would be more expensive...not worth it for the weight penalty on a 5000lb vehicle. Cast iron to aluminum intake swap covered that anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Probably more info than you needed to know, but as a "just in case" for anyone else considering the LT/LS1 fans. I think the windstars or other larger afn assembly would probably be easier to deal with. The LT/LS1 fans are designed to not use any bolts to secure them, and it makes mounting more difficult. I've got a fan with a broken mounting tab, so I know that it's possible, and drilling into it will only weaken the plastic.

Also, the fan wiring comes off the drivers side, which for us is a problem if you want as short wiring as possible. I think the plugs are interchangeable on the motors, which will allow you to route the wiring to the drivers side, and this is likely the easiest "problem" to work around.

17. 88Silverado

Heres a picture of the winstar fans on my Elcamino.
    The radiator is the same size as my Blazer.

18. Tweetysuarus

Where did you get those Winstar fans?
    Bill

19. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

what year windstar are those from?

20. 88Silverado

I bought 2 sets from my friend. Got them at a bone yard.
    They are 1995-1998, You can buy them (or other furd) fans new at this link