Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running electric fans on their 6.2?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by afroman006, Aug 23, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I was planning on running the windstar dual fan setup on my 6.2L equiped trail truck. I have been told that they will not pull enough air to adequetely cool this motor. I had them on my burban and it only has a 350 but they did as good a job as I could have aske for. How much air does the stock 6.2 fan pull as opposed to the windstart electrics? Thanks

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I had windstar fans on my my truggy with a 350, the fans pulled pretty good, but nothing like the 6.2 clutch style fan does. Going to electric fans with the 6.2 is a mod I will never do, unless I get stupid again and truggy out this truck. :doah:

3. afroman006

Anyone else?

4. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No. Don't do it! :D Engine fans are it for diesels, especially our heat-loving Detroits.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

It wont pull nearly enough air. IIRC, it will only pull about 1/4 the CFM that the mechanical one does. Think about it, that is the fan that ford deemed adequate for cooling a front wheel drive, V-6, gasoline powered minivan, it is NOT up to the task of cooling a 6.2. These trucks come with big fans and radiators for a reason.

6. afroman006

****... This sucks the big balls.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I don't get it...

The fan that came off my 6.2 - donor '87 C10 was a 5-blade fan; the fan from my '87 TBI 305-powered K5 was a 7-blade fan. Both appear to be the same diameter (I haven't measured yet) and the same blade size...
    AND, the radiator on the C10 has the outer dimensions and big tanks of a diesel rad, but looks like it's only a 2-core. Anyone able to make some sense of this?

8. afroman006

I think what makes the 6.2 fans special is the clutch. It is prety stout. The problem right now for me, is that because of the engine crossmember I made, my motor sits 1" lower and 1" forward of stock. If I tried to use a stock sized fan, it would hit the front crossmember. Now, since I aparently have to go with the mech fan, I am thinking of finding a smaller diameter flex fan and solid mounting it, with no clutch. This way, it will still pull hella air but hopefully wont contact the crossmember.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Agreed that the 6.2 has the better fan clutch... but my situation still doesn't make sense. If two fans have the same diameter, the same blade size, and the same blade pitch, the one with the higher blade count will move more air, especially at lower RPM. The 6.2 redlines about 2000rpm below the 305, and generally spins slower overall. Therefore the 6.2 should have had the 7-blade fan that came off my 305, and not the 5-blade that was on it.
    Ahhhh, who knows - maybe the fan on my 6.2 was a replacement...

10. AgDieseler

The 5 blade fan on a 6.2 has a more aggressive pitch than a gasser's 7 blade. There are a few guys on thedieselpage that have done a lot of fan swaps, and found that as flawed as the stock fan is, it's still the best - until one can upgrade to serpentine and fit a 9 blade Dmax fan. :D ;)

11. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

What about a electric fan for the A/C ??
    AT idle my ac doesnt do near as good when driving down the highway. When stop and go or in town it also bites.

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Huh... Guess I'll have to go outside this week and compare the fans again - when I pulled the 6.2's fan last week, it didn't strike me as having more blade pitch than the 305's.
    Re: the serp/DMax upgrade - is this something I should plan and budget for now, and install while the engine is (well, will be...) removed, or should I wait until I go turbo?

13. AgDieseler

Serpentine conversion is expensive, and requires some handy fab to get it done right. I'm writing an article for thedieselpage that will cover all the details of my conversion.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I have electric fans but not the fords.
    I got some aftermarket 12" fans and I made my own setup cost me $150 total but works great and I actually was doing fine with only one running until I hit trails at really low speed idling all day and that is when the second fan made the difference.
    As for the 5 blade versus 7 blade, mine came with the 7 blade fan.