Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone running hummer rims on their blazer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly, Sep 11, 2004.

1. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

I saw a set of Hmmwv rims for sale, and they look cool. I understand that they have 7.5" back space and was wondering if their are issues with putting those on a 72 with D44/14 bolt?

The version I saw was the 8 bolt 2 piece ( which I have been told is only good for bias ply tires)

any thoughts on running bias ply on a rig that does 20% trail/ 80% road?

anyone have experience or info on these?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

a lot of people in this local club that I am in run them and they say they love them, I hear you have to have the re centered or something but Im not sure, someone else will chim in and give ya better answers on them, as for the bias ply tire on the road, they are going to be rougher and louder and they are probably hard to balance put thats about it ow and if you let your rig sit a while they will get flat spots, it will feel like a vibration but after the tires heat up on the road it will go away. Hope I helped some.
    -Chris

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Yes, you will definitely need to get them recentered. Stazworks makes a new center for them I believe. In the rear you can buy a spacer to run them with the crazy backspacing, but when recentering the fronts you should just get the rears done too. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'm running them with 42" TSL's. I actually drove from Southern California to Nothern California along the coast without any problems from that tire rim combo. Along the freeways I could do 80mph without any vibrations. I used Equal tire balancing powder to balance them.

Mine are recentered to 3.5" backspacing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost forgot to mention that this is on my '90 Suburban.

5. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Willyswanter sent me this when I was thinking about doing it: [ QUOTE ]
    The 12 bolt wheels were made for the radials. People run radials on the 8 bolts all the time with no problems. Military hummers also run the 12 bolts, not just the civies. All the current hmmwv's in the military have 12 bolts. Thats why so many 8 bolts are around for sale.

[/ QUOTE ]

6. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I will be running the 8 nut hmmwv's rims with radials in the next 6 or so months.

Ok let me help out with this thing about the 12 bolt and 8 bolt wheels. I have been in the military for over 13 years, the reason why the military went to 12 bolt wheels is not because of the bias, radial thing. It was because when people got flats on there hmmwv's they were told just take the 8 lugs nuts to changer the tire. Well alot of the young kids who had no clue would take off the outer 8 nuts that goto the beadlock ring. If you say thats imposible, well I have seen it first hand about 5 time in 13 years. Thank god none of them got hurt.

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

if you get dually axles you can run them w/o having them recentered.

8. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

I stopped a kid from doing the same thing with a 5 ton.....he was taking off one of the nuts and I heared a hissing sound from behind me ........O yea the tire had 65 psi still /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.........the bad thing about it is that he is a driver that had been in for almost 3 yrs at that time......he was in the Navy before he joined the Corps....not sure but that may have something to do with it /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif......j.k.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Dude, I didnt know that! these kids are freakin /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

I dunno man. It makes sense how someone *could* be confused by having "8 nuts" on both- but.... still? Dont people bother to read manuals? (Manuals, see perhaps two different 8 bolt sets, perhaps ask question? ) /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have some for my burb /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif but I havent got them recentered yet /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif but I buy the new centers from usa6x6. Iam also waiting till I find some 16.5s larger than the 37s I now have.
    BTW the 37" hummv radials SUCK /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif . just thought Id mention that /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

A fine bunch of comments!

I was starting to get bummed about the bias only thing on the 8 bolt. For the military it is better to remove ANY confusion from the kids out there- god bless them.

What the heck is recentering and who can do that for me? or can I do it?

Thanks for the feed back- Nice looking meats in the photos.

If anyone is interested, the dude that I bought these from has another set for $250.00- PM if interested.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i am going to have some as soon as i get them from a felow member /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif.

the recentering cuts out the center section of the rim and replaces it with a new one with a different bolt pateren (if you need it) with less backspaceing, to whatever you want.
    check out usa6x6.com, you can ship the rims to them or you can buy the centers in any bolt pateren and do it you self, they tely you how to do it and it works out good (so they say)

13. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

A guy in my local club run Hummer beadlocks with the stock offset. He had custom steering arms made to clear the wheels in the front. He's running a 60/14 bolt in a blazer, now with a mazda body on it. With the blazer body on it, he said that with his 36x14.5 tsl's that the tires still stuck out of the fender ever so slightly, but he had to trim the fender openings quite a bit so that the didn't rub as bad at full lock or full stuff. Hope that helps.

Kris

14. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of stock Hummer 12 bolt rims on a K5 w/ Dually axles. Not a very good pic, but the only one I had right now!
    [​IMG]

15. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Poohbair what kind of axle do you have in the rear to run the hummer rims with stock offset?

16. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

D70 dually

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

man i likr that rig looks killer. i love the cat name it is a tank!, one Q is the drw 60 the full with or dose it have spacers?

18. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

It is just a stock DRW 60 and a stock DRW 70, no aftermarket spacers

19. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I want 15" hummer like wheels.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

Hummer rims are not made 15". 16.5", 17", and 20" I believe.

Good luck finding somthing close.