Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running just hydrolic steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jk5blazer, Dec 10, 2005.

1. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

I wanted to know if anyone was running a hydro assist system without the crossover steering. So I would be only using the ram to steer with. I guess that would be considered hydrolic steering. I didnt want to change out to a 2wd steering box, and all the other related hassle. How well would it do on the road. Its not a daily driver but it does see the street every now and then. Just trying to save some $$$$. Thanks for your help

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

That would be called full hydro (not hydro assist anymore if it is not assisting any mechanical linkage). That is generally considered very unsafe for the street. If it sees anything over 50 mph you will want mechanical steering linkage with hydro assist.

3. jk5blazer

jk5blazer 1/2 ton status

but the factory steering linkage would not be good enough. At least that is what the searches I have done have told me, due to the binding under extreame flex. Or should I just go with the cross over steering and not th ehydro assist. I am just trying to find the direction I want to go with my blazer. And if you have an answer to how it binds up under extreame flex that would be great to. The factory steering linkage with the assist that is.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the solution to binding steering is crossover.

5. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Corect me if I'm wrong, but I think your'e idea is full hydro, but using the stock steering box as the steering valve, insted of buying one of the high dollar units. If i get the idea right, that is what I have been wondering about 2. I know U can run ram assist with the stock box, what about diching the linkage, get a little bigger ram and run full hydro with the stock box as the steering valve? Can it/has it been done?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't believe the steering box can provide nearly the flow and pressure needed to really act as the steering valve in a full hydro system.

7. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

i have friend that is running the full hydro setup on his truck using the stering head for the valve. it works fine just use a ram that that moves in both directions out of each end. i dont know what that style of ram is called but i think they are used on tractors. he used a forklift steering head. i all ready have mine in the garage. oh he does not drive his on the street very much. mostly trailers it. he will drive it to the parts store every now an again but never gets in hurry.

8. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The answer you are looking for (expensive as it is) is to go to crossover and hydro assist. The stock steering linkeage sucks all around. You won't believe how much better crossover steering is. I think some of the problem may be that with the stock linkeage when the truck is fully flexed out, the tires will still point straight even if you have the wheel cranked left. At this point, you have the steering box bottomed out (full crank left). The hydro assist ram is inline with the tie rod and does not have this problem. It will force the tires to turn. This seems like it could break some things in the steering system. I don't know if this really happens, just a theoretical.

9. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

So he is using a stock forklift steering box? Or a stock blazer box? You kinda contradicted yourself.

I have a forklift orbital valve on my rig with full hydro. It is a lot better than most say it will be. I don't think you will ever want to daily drive it and AFAIK you will never get a safety inspection done on it. I have driven down dirt roads in excess of 40mph with little issue.
    The stock steering box and pump for that matter are not rated to flow enough for a steering ram. I don't know if they will "work" to a point but the flow rating isn't their on paper.

10. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I am more interested in using JUST the stock steering box as the controll valve. I would use a diferent pump, lines, ect. I just thought that if the stock box could controll the ram it would make for a lot less fab work, and save a little coin. But I don't want to cheep out on steering either, not if it's not going to work allright. That would defeat the hole reason for it.

11. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

sorry i confussed myself. i often type befor i think. he does use the fork lift stering head. i don't know what i wz thinking when i said that he was using the stock steering head.