Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone running long front springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spoolnaround, Jan 15, 2003.

1. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Who is running longer springs in the front? How long and what are they out of? how do they work, are you satisfied?
    I am going to order a new front driveline and am thinking of going with a longer spring in the front and move the front axle foreward sn inch or two, any suggestions??

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if all you wanna do is move the axle get a set od ORD 1" zero rate add a leaves. they can move it up to 1.5", give 1" of lift and have no effect on spring rate at all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I'm running rear stock 52" springs up front.I just had to move the front spring hanger forward 2 1/2"(moves the diff 1/2" forward).Make sure you get extended shackles.Other than that they ride soft and flex like mad.Oh don't forget to remove the overload leaf /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif!The springs give you about 5" of lift.The rear shackles are at about an 45 degree angle,too....perfect for ride and flex.Mike

4. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I'd like to see some pics if you've got some.

Thanks

Chris

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got a custom set of ORD springs up front (45" instead of 44") that locate the axle forward 1"....they're nice and soft and flexy....and they allow the tire to completely destroy all the sheetmetal in the wheel arch area!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pics in my gallery...

6. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

What I am thinking is not only moving the axle foreward but longer springs for more articulation. If you have pics of your front hangers I would dig on seeing them.

7. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    The front hangers are stock,just air chiseled them off and moved under the body mounts.Gm even has the 4 holes there for you.It nothing fancy.....stock front hangers moved under the body mounts,stock 52" rear springs,ORD shackles.I wanted to move the diff forward 1",but that would of entailed modifing the front hangers.This way it moves it 1/2",but I already had my fenders cut for the 39's,BTW I run no wheelwells.I'll try and get some pics this weekend,I'm way over due to post pics of all the mods!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

8. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Yeah please post some pics. I talked to you bout this before and I understand what you're talking about with the front body mount already dirlled... pretty cool. Do the shackles hit the frame when the springs compress? With them being at 45* seems like they'd hit. Also can you measure the distance between your axle tube and bump stop bracket, I want to get an idea of how much lift it gave you. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif