Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone running marine grade audio?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 55Willy, May 2, 2007.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm gonna be putting in a stereo in the buggy. just a sinple deck and some 6.25"s I have plus one 10" sub. I just like a little sound while out on the trail.

are the marine grade stuff worth it or should I just hide them from the elements and use regualr equipment.

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I don't run them, yet.

But yes, they're worth it.
    I would suggest a fully water-tight enclosure for the head unit.

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

If you get a cheap headunit, I wouldnt worry about it, depending on how much muddin you do though, then I would

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

alot of mud sand and snow. open buggy.
    I'm gonna construct the sub box so stuff can't get in it. and the others will be under the "dash" with the head unit.

5. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

A band pass box would be good to cause of the fiberglass front. I am thinking of making a custom box to go where the cenver console goes, with some speakers mounted into that as well, so I can just run them right from my deck, my truck now has NO stereo, no wiring, nothing at all, it sucks.

6. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

just an idea. but if you got an ipod they have alot of accessories like water tight cases. ( http://www.welovemacs.com has a bunch and i got mine for snowboarding there) but you could put the head unit in a safe place and have a 3.5 mini cord to your ipod and have it get as dirty as you want.

7. bigjimmy82

bigjimmy82 1/2 ton status Premium Member

buddy of mine with a buggy used a battery box, like they sell at walmart for $8 and mounted it on its side under the dash and then he can take the lid off on turn it on, then use his ipod as said above

i would spead money on marine speakers because he just cheapy wal mart 6x9s that don't like the weather, don't know how picky you are about sound quality

I am going to put these in my doors and cargo area of my jimmy

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOBAHN-AMS60N-6-5-MARINE-SPEAKERS-WITH-HORN-TWEETER_W0QQitemZ250110645532QQihZ015QQcategoryZ18799QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

8. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hi guys...

Sorry, I really haven't read the thread, I just wanted to spew what I've seen in the boating industry...

Corrosion protection, not a contest... the marine stuff holds up to a tough environment, whereas car stuff corodes and falls apart shortly... head units and speakers..

Hi performance, don't know.. not sure "how good" high end marine stuff is in a car market.. I'm sure it pales in comparison.. think your speaker selections at least, are FAR more limited... basically some decent 6 x 9's are what I usually see...

10. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

11. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

if i rememeber correctly mastercraft boats use JL components. lol so you can get some awesome marine speakers.

Pyle of garbage...

12. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I figured something like that, pyle of sh** :)

I might just say screw it, and hope for the best. I found an alpine deck with teo 5.25"s for 78 bucks at walamrt, with my cousins employee discount it shouldnt be more than what...60 bucks?

I am going to be building a custom center console, that will still act as a center console, but will have those 5.25's mounted to it and possible a sub. , and then I have the 6x9's behind the seats.

Is there a speaker in the dash? It kind of looks like one...

13. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    I have thought bout going down the road of marine audio. My sub definatley is not, its a Alpine type r. I might go with infinity marine audios for components. PM me if you want a hookup in speakers. Shipping is round about but you can save quite a bit.