Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone running on propane?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Nov 21, 2002.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i heard that it works great for the rock crawlers. just curious as to what the set up would cost and how good it works on a daily driver .

2. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

3. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

that answered my ? i am going to look into converting my truck over to propane .

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Ok I'm interested in this too. What compresion ratio would you need to run on propane? Would it be a good fuel to run a high HP 454 off of? I ask because the 454 I want to build will be one bad mofo and one gas guzlin SOB. What kind of mileage could be expected from propane? I know of at least one local station that has it so I am REALLY interested. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Try doing a search on the Pirate4x4.com general 4x4 forum. I don't have any first hand experience, I just read the article.

6. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

the differance between propane and gas is there BTU rating. gas, haveing the higher rating will make more power per unit consumed. therefore you might get 15 miles on a gallon of gas and 12 miles on a gallon of propane. i talked to a guy about a "duel fuel carb" so i could run both, he said running propane was good for him since he worked for a propane company and could get it cheap /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

has anyone heard of this duel fuel carb??? it was years ago i was thinking of this and have since forgotten what it was /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif but after reading the story on the pirate page i just might go through with it. however i'd like to keep my gas tank.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Dual fuel mixers are common up here...as are propane powered vehicles. Almost every station sells automotive LPG and it's about half the cost of gas.

The drawback is tank location IMHO...great in a pick-up, but not so great in a K5.

More info here: http://www.propaneguy.com/

Rene

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

how dangerous would this be to put on a k5 if i built a giant cage aroung the tank? i dont rock climb just worrisome about traffic. actually im not sure if you can buy propane anywhere around here.

nathan

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My blazer ran propane for about 10 years. That's the way my father used it. It had a huge 50gal tank behind the rear seat (where eles, duh!). No frame to protect it or anything. If you get rearended so bad to need to protect a tank that's about 1.5 feet behind the bumper, you'll probably get your neck broken anyway.

Mine had that dual fuel thing. It consists of a switch and a lever. It was a pain to switch from one fuel to the other. the switch controlled propane flow, and the lever gas flow. You had to have perfect timing as to when to close one and when to open the other or it would die. Going from gas to propane was hard because you could drive about a mile from the moment you closed the gas to the point where it consumed what was left on the line. You had to have your finger on the propane switch ready all the time.

My father eventually removed it when the cost of propane gallon was too high to justify the huge tank.

If you do the conversion, try to get an external fill door, because when they fill the tank, they must open a relief valve that leaves your interior odor-ful. With the external door, the gas is released outside.