Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone running on propane?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big k5, Jan 23, 2004.

1. big k5

big k5 Registered Member

Well I tried the search engine(but it's down??)I'm looking for any useful info on converting to propane.I have a 77k5 for pure off road use it will (soon)have a 400ci.What are the advantages & disadvantages to converting to propane? What about cost?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Disadvantages: Finding a place to refill at odd hours (not every gas station has propane) but most remote ones near camping areas probably will /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Advantages: Cleaner burning, plugs will last 10 times longer than running gas. Less pollution.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All I can think of are disadvantages in this country. Less power than gas, more complexity added to the vehicle (although they seem to be pretty fail proof) and anywhere I've been, a gallon of propane is more expensive than a gallon of gas. Since you get less power out of it, you don't get the same mileage as you will with gas.

Most european countries propane is cheaper than gas, so it's a viable option there. (plus most all the vehicles are so small, power isn't as much a concern)

4. Russ1020

Russ1020 Registered Member

my brother had it on his 1 ton 454 when we bought it and it ran fine. he ran it for a while and when ever he changed the oil it still looked fresh. Also we lived in a rural area so we set it up for the local propan company to come out and fill it once a month. I am thinking of buying the system and tank from him for my old 350, If I cant get my TBI conversion to work.

5. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

i used to work at a shop that also had a bulk fuel service. we had a few people that ran propane that would fill up there. iirc you had to buy a speicial state permit for $75. then road propane was only like .75 or .80 a gallon or pound. dont remember how we sold it, pound or gallon. got talking with a guy that had a f-350 with a 460. he said that when he rebuilt it and converted to propane they bumped the compression to 12 or 13 to 1 to get back the lost power.

deck