Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running (or heard anything about) General Grabbers???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, Jun 1, 2001.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I know tRusty's ran them (from Canada to Texas, LOL!!) and liked them. I just wanted to get some more opinions. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

<font color=red>I'm a psychic amnesiac. I know in advance what I'm going to forget. </font color=red>

2. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Loved 'em. Tried the 33" and 35" M/T's. And before that the A/T's in 235/75 and 31" sizes. Great tires, can't say enough good things about 'em. They do wear down quicker and seem to be harder to balance than, say, a BFG, but they gripped the rocks better and seemed to keep their sidewalls intact better than the BFG's 'round here. I'm basing this on observations of quite a few friends of mine, too, it's not just a sample size of one.

--Rob

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had the Grabber ST's on my S-Jimmy since last October. They've done well in the snow and mud. Haven't had 'em on the rocks yet. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had a set of 31x10.50 AP's on a truck. I hated them!! maybe it was just me or the just that I had the AP's. They "felt" loose. I have heard alot of people who ran the mud terrain's and liked them.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

5. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I just put on a pair of 35 M/T's and they are great for everything except beach. I don't have any serious rocks out this way though, so I can't speak for that. They run great though so far.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I had 35" MTs on mine untill i did the 3/4 ton swaperoo, i liked them, they cleared pretty well, rode pretty well, weren't nearly as loud as my swampers, and i got @ 42,000 miles out of them. Plus they're what $125?

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I found them for $113 for 33's &gt;:-)

<font color=red>I'm a psychic amnesiac. I know in advance what I'm going to forget. </font color=red>

8. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Never, Never, NEVER, will I run another General Tire (by)product on any of my vehicles. They have got to be the worst ones I've ever experienced. Spend the extra dough and get quality tires.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I had 31" General AP (thats an AT) on my truck before I lifted it. They sucked in the mud, but other than that they were very good tires. They wore evenly and stayed ballanced without a lot of weight. The only reason I didn't go with a Generals after the lift was no one, that I know of localy, keeps General 35x12.50 MTs in stock. Both NTB & Sears keep the BFGs, and gave me a road hazard waranty. LOL!

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

They are very comperable to the BFG's as far as the M/T's go. Like a cheaper or gerneric brand. Here in NAshville, they were alot harder to locate. But for the price you cant really beat them. But like the BFG m/t's They do "OK" in the mud. They dont clean out as well as you would think for them to be a "MUD" tire. [​IMG]

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I guess it depends on the type of mud...[​IMG] My Generals will dig to China in the mud I've run here, and they self cleaned very well. I liked them a lot better than the NFG Mud T/A's I had before them...[​IMG]

I have over 40,000 on my Generals now and they just don't wanna die. I think that they are very hard to beat for the money!

Rene

<font color=red>If at first you don't succeed...skydiving ain't for you!</font color=red>

12. steve85fla

steve85fla Registered Member

I've had general m/ts for the last 2 years, they are alot quieter than the swampers, do ok in mud , and were "reasonable" (cheap)

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

tRusty, your gonna have to come down to Tennessee and play in some real mud then.[​IMG]
    Ask Depdog. Hes made a coment or 2 about the nastiness of trails here in the BIG TN.
    Im starting to hate mud these days.

14. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Georgia clay sucks ass too. That clay dont like to let go of the meats.

15. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'm kinda known among the guys as a picky guy when it comes to tires... on anything... from a mud truck to a drag car... I think tires are a key element no matter what you intend to do w/ the vehicle, but anyways I have run the MT's and they are fine. Nothing special... just a plain ole MT w/ a nice price... other generals pretty much suck IMO. I like the look of my Procomp MT's as well... they are sipped already which is kinda nice in the rain. If you are looking for a cheap MT... the Generals are it. Those m udkings and other cheapies are awful. Most of them get all chopped up and ply seperate past 50% tread.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

16. 1big78k5

1big78k5 Registered Member

I ran 35" General MT's on my Power Wagon. I liked them alot, they rode good and work better than I expected in the mud! I will buy them again! I heard something about buying a quality tire on here, well Generals are a very good quality tire and they have been around a long time!

'78 K5 SB400, T350, NP203, 35" Swampers

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We do have some really nasty holes here too dude...the place I went to is right on the river and its all river silt/soil. When it dries its more like concrete than anything else which is why I don't go there to play anymore...[​IMG]

The one hole there had a late 70's Chev stuck a good 6" up the door for depth...no big deal i thought. Then I found out it had 12" of lift and 44" Bogers under it. In the same hole was a 4Runner with a very built 383 stroker and 42" TSL's also very stuck...yeah we got some mud here[​IMG]

i agree the clay does not like to come out of the tire though...the grabbers are not on the same level as swampers but I did think they cleaned pretty damn good for an inexpensive MT. The fact that they rode good and lasted forever was a bonus...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

18. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] Right AWN!!!!
    General=Good
    TSL's=Better

19. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I run the 35/12.50 MT Grabbers in Ohio mud...very slick stuff. They do damn good for what they are, a good-priced mud radial. They won't steer out of slippery ruts like my all-time favorite mud tire...TSL-SX's but they'll do pretty well and last forever.

"The mud is lovely, dark and deep, but I have U-joints to change before I sleep"

20. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

cv202, Hey, I like my Generals, I was just wondering why you were so pissed off at them? I might give second thought if I knew why you disliked them so.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General