Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running polyurethane bushings anywhere?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jun 18, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

My 85 is a daily driver and sees some moderate trails and mud (no rock crawling). I am lifting the truck and replacing the spring bushings with polyurethane ones. I have seen kits with all sorts of poly replacement bushings. Besides my sway bar bushings (which after 16 years and 130K mile are in need of replacement), do I really need to replace any others? Does it make much of a difference? Would it be worth the $125 the kits costs?

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Well, with the new lift springs, they usually do come with poly bushings. I wouldn't change the rubber body bushings, unless they're crushed and crumbling and stuff. The poly body mounts are good, but does not cushion the ride as well as rubber, but they'll last (almost forever).
    While you're doing the lift, I would get greasable poly bushings from ORD, or anyone else that makes em. Elminates the squeek that poly are known for, and offers a better ride too.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Make sure you grease everything with something that won't dry out. Poly spring bushings rely on having things slide to work at all. In contrast, the stock rubber spring bushings rely on the rubber "twisting" to accomodate spring movement. This is much more robust because you never have to grease it and it will never squeak. The poly needs to be greased at least once a year or else the bolts will freeze to the steel sleeves and your ride will suffer and the bolts will be very hard to remove.

So poly lasts longer and keeps everything stiffer, but requires more maintainance and squeaks. It is appropriate for the sway bar, for sure, especially when you can get the greaseable mounts for it. If you don't want to run greaseablel bolts for the spring eyes, I would still with stock (or stock replacement) rubber for the spring eyes. The rubber also allows a bit softer ride.

If you were gonna have it apart anyway, it would make sense to use poly body mounts, but unless a lot of stuff is wasted, I wouldn't tear it apart to put poly on. Some of the stuff in the kits is just dust covers for tie rod ends and ball joints and stuff, which does nothing for performance, but costs a lot of money for stuff that always outlives the components it is attached to. But it does give you cool colors on those parts. These are just my opinions.

<font color=green>If a K-5 is "Built not Bought", why does this stuff cost me so much money? [​IMG] </font color=green>