Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone running portals?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RClivin, May 7, 2003.

1. RClivin

RClivin Registered Member

I have been reading about portal axles...
    I like the looks of the one ton Volvo C-303, (I think it is the C-303 but not too shure) but it looks wayyy to small to be one ton as it claims.
    [​IMG]
    I was wondering if you could hook leaf springs up to a portal axel... and also if anyone of you have experance with them. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I don't think peeps run leaf springs with portals to often... just the geometry of how portals work makes for the possibility of mad axle wrap I guess. Besides, if you are the type whos willing to spend thosands of $ to get portals under your rig... you can afford a 4-link set up with coil overs too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Check this out The Hulk.
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

The reason the R&P can be so small is because they have half the load because the portal reduction. I have a set of mog 406 axles that will be going under my dodge m-37 and from everything Ive read leaf springs are not the way to go. I will probably go with coils as coilovers are just out of my budget after everything else to do this project. The nice thing about the volvos is mega ground clearance and no torque tube to do away with.

5. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

C-303 yes that is right. They actually use leafs on them from the factory, but UNDER the axle.

6. Anthonviking

Anthonviking Registered Member

Volvo portals fits nice on a chevy etc. Originaly on a Volvo the Rear leaf is mounted above axel. Front leaf is mounted under axel. Thye are ligt wheigt, apx 600 lb (both front and rear axel including the whells to!). I`ve got a pair, here in SWE it costs about 1400$ complet with leafs, rims and tyres. The kan stand the tortyre of 200 HP with 40" If there is any ?, I'am here!!!!! :ears:

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

But, can they withstand 350 hp and 44 inch tires?

Ken H.

8. jekbrown

the ttc guy with 49.5 michelins and a BBC runs portals... so it would seem they are pretty dang beefy.

j

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I have been so busy I havent even looked at the latest TTC at all. Any good links to post up? All I know is an orange Blazer won.

Ken H.

10. jekbrown

purdy sure fourwheeler.com has pics and poop. full mag coverage isnt gonna be on the newsstands until sept/oct i think. Tobys K5 won... and chevys really owned the comp overall. good to see the heeps get smacked down again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the portal equiped K5 was in last years TTC not this years. It was the white one with a propane powered Cadillac(I believe) big block motor.

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, "Fubeca" kindly provided us with the link in the thrid post... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    the portal equiped K5 was in last years TTC not this years. It was the white one with a propane powered Cadillac(I believe) big block motor.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, big block caddy... and it was in this years comp. if memory serves, there was another portal'ed k5 last year.. think it was a blue one? i dunno, i forget... but the 49.5" michelin'ed + portal'ed white rig was definitely from this year.

j

14. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

yup last year Ryeguy entered with his white Blazer named 'HULK' which is a K5 with portals on 44" cepeks powered by a 472 Caddy that is fed with propane /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif