Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone running rear shock towers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Blazer, Sep 5, 2001.

1. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about designing one but if anyone already has some designs of this it would be highly appreciated.

350, sm465, NP205, 14 Bolt w/Detroit locker(465 ratio), yucky ten bolt,38.5 swampers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.planettribes.com/theden/gontw/nsig.jpg>http://www.planettribes.com/theden/gontw/nsig.jpg</a>

2. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

I don't have shock towers per sey, but I did fab up a shock mount that goes in the little nook under the rear seat edge between the frame . running 14" travel bilsteins W/remote res. Keep in mind if you do that you will have to increase your damping because the shocks are then mounted at a 45deg. angle , but this gives you more than enough travel .check out my ride in the members pics!!

1991 Fullsize 5 1/2"lift, 37"ssr's,10Bolt8 lug , 14Bolt ff, 4:56 Detroit rear, 12"fr. 14"r Bilstein remote res.350 P.F.I , 700r4 , 241c W/ sye

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've been trying to figure out how to do it, but don't really want to cut holes i the floor at this point in time. So, when I eventually get my rollcage installed, I'll integrate the shock mounts with it, and come up with some kind of "boot" to cover them.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Here's a picture from several years back. It's a system designed by Off-road racer dude Johnny Johnson. It allowed around 18" of travel with the shox mounted under the bed. The picture is a little dark, but you should be able to tell what the basic principle is. This setup has been discussed recently in some race/prerun forums. Most of the "experts" seem to think it's very workable with todays shock......anybody? I'm thinkin' some nice long Nationals or Deavers with some good Fox or Sway-A-Ways......

www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I like the cantilever too - Only prob there would be the need to relocate the gas tank, and it would almost preclude a full length exhaust. I'd like to have the engineering skill to come up with a little more streetable version of that.

I'm also curious how well it would lend itself to reservoirs, you'd probably need a straight gas like Bilstein or Doetsch.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I agree on the gas tank...this was setup for mini trucks. Looks like a regular exhaust would be OK....nothing would have to extend out past the current shocks. Res should be fine also.....if ya could find a place for 'em. With current shock technology I'm sure you could get by with one per side.....that would make it much more compact. I'm gonna do more lookin'...I'll let ya know if it happens. I just hate nasty old shocks in my passenger space....

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Check out the shock mounts on the UAV. Its an awesome idea and they work well I hear.

Thats my project soon too. I am going to be following Steves example.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

9. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I am doing a 2" body lift on my truck and I am going to angle both shox forward. I will keep the angle the same as the stock passenger side only 3" longer then stock. I will also be making shock towers for the front, I do not want to use the Furd ones.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650