Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running Skyjacker or BDS lifts???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaptCrunch, Feb 16, 2001.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I got some great info on Superlift... but am wondering if anyone out there is running a BDS or Skyjacker lift? If so how's the ride... how was install... driveline changes.. etc. Thanks in advance

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I've ran both Skyjacker and BDS. The Skyjacker Softride springs definitly rode stiffer compared to the BDS springs. The BDS springs seem to flex great. You also might consider Alcan springs too. Driveshaft angle changes will have to be made no matter what lift you go with.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I am running a 4" Skyjacker Softride. I used all new springs, my old stock ones were shot. When I put on I got an actual 5" of lift. The back setteled a little and I added a 1" block to the back to even things out. The ride is great, way better than stock. It cleared 35" (34.8" measured) tires with a little trimming. It flexes good enough for what I do. I haven't ramped it since last year and I am sure it moves more now, the springs were still fairly new then. Install was same as any other. Skyjacker keeps the front spring pin centered, not everyone does. Some Co's move it back to help keep the drive shaft together. This can cause the tire to hit sooner and may require more trimming. My front shaft was wasted so I just had one made to fit.
    I got mine from National Wheel & Tire and everything that was susposed to be there was. They also gave me free shocks. I don't know if they still have that deal.
    Extras: New front shaft (Tom Woods) - I needed that before the lift. Raised steering arm (SJ). X-fer case lowering kit (SJ) - two of my stock spacers were gone, BTW the SJ spacers are much wider than the stock ones. Longer front brake lines (ProComp) - I just bent the rear hard line for more clearance.
    Overall I am pleased with everything. If I had to do it again I would do it the same way.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

4. CaptCrunch

Actually it was the write on your rig that made me look into BDS. I must say your truck is just plain awsome. That paint is cool... how much was a custom job like that? I guess what really concerns me w/ the BDS is why you had to go right into CV shafts... seems like stock ones in a longer length should be ok? If I have read right doesn't BDS only drop the tcase to adjust for the d-shaft angle?How much are the CV shafts? Was also going to ask how the sag was over time ... seems like the ones that ride softer sag. Thanks alot for your info... Once again Beautiful truck... I only hope mine could look as good as that none the less offroad like it does.

5. Shawn

Thanks!! The paint was around $2500 which included chemically stripping of the old GM paint and primer, and the custom graphics. If I had to do it over again, I would of put that money towards a Doubler or something and have a cheaper paint job done. The trails are not that nice to the body/paint. I had driveshaft problems from day one when I installed the Skyjacker. The BDS made it worse since the Dana 60 was installed at the same time which actually made my 6" into 7" due to the taller spring perches on the 60. I had to match the rear with the same height. A smaller CV shaft isn't bad in price but when you to to a 1350 CV shaft, you can expect to pay $400-$500 for each shaft. The Skyjacker seemed to sag more than the BDS lift. The BDS springs are much taller than what they say so when they do settle, it's at the advertised height. Thanks for the comments!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

6. CaptCrunch

How's the ride w/ Jacker? I know Shawn and some other people I have talked to say they ride really hard... My Blazer already handles like a box of rocks and bouncing around like a rag doll aint't cool, but I just recieved their catalog in the mail. They look and sound good.... but not sure how rough is rough?

7. I have a 4" BDS lift,I love it.I've road in several others and the BDS seems to ride better.I know they flex like crazy!

8. corona1k5

corona1k5 Registered Member

hey shawn. I saw your blazer on off-road.com that things super nice. i have a Q about it though. Those swampers i might get em. and i want to know if that 6" superlift is all you have lifting it and if you had to do any trimming to fit 36-14.5? thanx

9. Shawn

Thanks!! It's a 6" lift plus the 1 ton Dana 60 axles adds another inch due to the taller spring perches so it's actually 7". With a 36x14.5 tire, you still have to cut the front fender way back if you plan on taking it off-road. By having the sway bar disconnected (or no sway bar at all) it really brings that tire in the lower rear portion of the front fender causing body damage and tire damage so a fender trim is a must. I have pictures somewhere of my cut fenders

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

My 85 K30 (a true one ton truck) rides on 4" Skyjacker front and rear springs. I have never tried BDS or Superlift Softride springs, but my Skyjackers, to me, dont ride too bad. Maybe its because my truck weighs 1000 lbs more than the stock 1/2 or 3/4 ton. Extra weight means settling springs. I also play with the air pressure in my tires. Normal driving I will do about 30 lbs in front and 25 lbs in rear. I also run RS 5000 shocks for now, since I am cheap.

11. CaptCrunch

To the guys running BDS, where did you get them... BDS is sending me to a shop north of me and they quoted me $600 for a 6" lift w/ blocks... and that's it... That's just too much. If I can't find a better price then I'll have to go Supoerlift or Skyjacker

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

That kind of price should include the rear springs instead of blocks.

13. CaptCrunch

Yeah... that's what I said... I almost died! Superlift from them with 6 and blocks was $550. Heck I can get that w/ shocks from National W & T for $330. Skyjacker w/ shocks is $420. I did ask the only other place near byand they said $550 for BDS w/ trailmaster SS shocks and a drop arm. I'm waiting for the guy to check w/ his boss on the Skyjacker price and for price w/ some Rancho RSX's or if they could get some black diamonds possibly still.

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The ride with my Skyjackers is way better than stock. It doesen't ride as good as my JGC (ZJ) but they are built to do different things. If you decide to buy the Skyjackers make sure you order the Softride ones. A friend of mine bought the Skyjacker HD springs, back when I lived in Ohio, for his snow plow truck. They were great for that, they held the weight, but rode very rough.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

15. Shawn

If you're not getting a good price on BDS then I'd say screw it and find something that fits your wallet better. Skyjacker is still a great spring. What about Tuff Country? Offroad Design sells those springs and a few other shops. People like Depdog have been happy with Tuff Country.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

16. CaptCrunch

Well after about 4 hours of searching the archives here and at ofroad.com I'm still puzzled. Spring rate chart has the skyjackers rated as a softer spring... While I've scooped out Depdog's page (He's 100% hardcore... WOW!) and the flex is great, not crazy about 3 leafs. Basically waiting on some more BDS quotes from yesterday... Just another question if you don't mind Shawn, but when you said the Skyjackers were rough... on the road? trail? Rougher then a stock truck?

Overall quirks is Superlift sounds like I'll only get about 4" w/ a 6" after sag, BDS is pending, and skyjacker didn't thrill me w/ their one page install sheet w/ no torque specs, but I have superlifts instructions which are very complete. Well this is why I'm buying early LOL... month to decide.. month to order... and hope to heck not a month to install. Thanks guys

17. Shawn

The front Skyjackers rode rougher compared to BDS on the street. I did the front springs before the rears and took it for a drive real quick just to see. The BDS springs were 5.5" and the Skyjackers were the Softride 6" springs. It wasn't a hell of a difference but I could tell. I can't compare the rears since I did a shackle flip with BDS 4" springs (with overload cut). NEVER trust some of the spring rates they give you. If one company did the testing with the same method than this might actually mean something. Every company uses it's own method to test a spring so it's hard to compare the springs using that. If you call BDS, they can give you the scoop on that. Have you contacted Alcan yet? They might be able to build a set of springs like Stepen Watson has. I actually prefer springs packs with as many leafs as possible these days. IMO- The more leafs, the better. I might be switching over to that kind of leaf pack similar to Watsons. National Spring is another company that comes to mind but they charge more.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

18. CaptCrunch

I'm awaiting a quote from them via e-mail. I found out that another repuable 4x4 shop in my area sells BDS although they aren't on their website... For 6" kit, shocks, and steering arm was quoted approx $540 w/ tax... that is about the same as Skyjacker from National WT, well I assume it would be about 100 to ship, but haven't called them.

19. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Hey capt, that's all that National Tire and Wheel said they are going to charge for a 6" Skyjacker? I was looking at their ads and they are like $700 with shocks and nothing else. Is this National Wheel and Tire a local shop? I noticed that it's Wheel & Tire as opposed to Tire & Wheel. Man, that's cheap. Where are you from? If I can find a 6" Skyjacker with shocks and arm for $550 I'd be happy!

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

20. CaptCrunch

I'm talking kits... not systems w/ rear springs if that is what you're thinking. I believe they removed the shocks from the skyjacker kits this month though. I have a couple of decent quotes on BDS now so kinda leaning that way. Anyone know if the BDS warranty includes sag and if anyone has run them long enough to tell if they will sag? I'll upgrade to rear springs later, but for now w/ a CV driveshaft... tires... rims... axles... I just can't afford it. But my offroad is very minor compared to a lot of guys here. I'm located in Minneapolis by the way. If affordability is how you are looking go the superlift 6" lift w/ shocks for 330... otherwise ORD has the EZ rides from tuff for $295 kit or about 5 bills for the system. I don't have to decide on the lift brand till march and plan on going next week to a friend of a friend's 4x4/offroad shop. He's running superlift and one of the techs has a skyjacker so they are going to take me for a little spin. Plus see if he's be willing to hook me up w/ a little better deal than the other places. Oh FYI... Nt'l was saying shipping would be approx 70 to 80 for me.