Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running some squeeze?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Feb 2, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just wondering who is squeezing their motor...how big of a shot? is it a built motor if you are? What's done as far as the rotating assembly? Can a stock crank and rods handle a 50 or 75 shot? I have heard that cast pistons will crack? Can you safely run a smaller shot without cracking cast pistons? Thinking about adding a little bottle to the 406.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just wondering who is squeezing their motor...how big of a shot? is it a built motor if you are? What's done as far as the rotating assembly? Can a stock crank and rods handle a 50 or 75 shot? I have heard that cast pistons will crack? Can you safely run a smaller shot without cracking cast pistons? Thinking about adding a little bottle to the 406.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never thought about adding it to the engine, but used to use a lot of it back in the day for fish bait............

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I may go on the bottle with the buggy. I have hyperuetic pistons so I'm not worried about a 50 shot going through her. Has a forged crank with 4 bolt mains. rods are the only thing to worry about and I doubt they will be a problem, if they are well then I've got a motor to rebuilt. And next time around you better realize it will be a 383 with forged pistons and rods and a little top end work to follow that nitrous, then we will crank out some 100hp shots.

4. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

Cast pistons and stock rotating assembly should be able to handle a 150hp shot easily. I've seen it done before with no problems. The biggest things are to make sure you don't detonate. That is what kills the pistons. Use high grade fuel, back off your timing, and make sure your fuel pump can supply enough fuel to feed the fuel solenoid. Also, never spray at much less than WOT. Good luck, have fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Never thought about adding it to the engine, but used to use a lot of it back in the day for fish bait............

[/ QUOTE ] WTF? Once again, great tech advise bubba... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. burbanman350

burbanman350 Newbie

Run MSD if you don't want problems...6AL should work just fine for ya

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Run MSD if you don't want problems...6AL should work just fine for ya

[/ QUOTE ] More info please? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Umm an MSD ignition box. I will be running a 6A ignition box, with exterior blaster coil. Better spark help fight detonations.

9. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

Yeah, but whatever rev limiter you use, be sure it cuts spark, and not fuel. Fuel cut under boost/spray = KABOOM

Do some searching on the MSD site. They have an ignition system that will retard timing under boost/spray. THAT folks, is the cat's ass.

10. rjfguitar

hmmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i plan on running a 150 shot if i ever get around to building the 385" stroker for my truck..
    a guy i work with has a 95 z28, lt1 6 spd, and has been running 150 shot on it for over 2 years with no problems and its going on 120000 miles..

12. rjfguitar

I wan't a little nos but I'm thinking a 50 or 75HP shot. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif