Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running the 3:1 203 from Wagoneer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Jul 30, 2003.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

This seems like the easiest solution to getting a lower crawl ratio with the minimul amount of work. With a $1000 price tag though its a tough choice, but I don't think the doubler can be done any cheaper /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If there was only an easier solution to t-case gearing for us fullsize's...the one time I think the Toys, and Zuks, and Jeeps have it a little easier /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

there is only one rig i know of that is running it, and he likes it.

IMHO, the doubler can't be beat. i use 2wd LO alot then drop the 205 into 4wd 4:1 LO when i get to the mean stuff.

With an underpowered SBC350, i'd like to run the WMS 3.1:1 NP203 Range Box in front of my doubler to have:

2:1 low
    3.1:1 really low
    6.2:1 stupid low

then you have slectability out the arse! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    With an underpowered SBC350, i'd like to run the WMS 3.1:1 NP203 Range Box in front of my doubler to have:

then you have slectability out the arse!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, what he said... I would love to have that set up for a trail rig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But I will be saving my penny's for a long time too. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the setup to have ultimately

It's just so expensive to do the doubler when you combine all the other things together, and finding a TH400 205 case cheap would be like finding a dana 60 cheap. I wish there was another lower cost way to do this. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I wish there was another lower cost way to do this. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe lower gears in your axles if you haven't already done that?

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

What about a NP241 that has a 2.72:1 low range stock? Or even better a th700r4 and 241 combo (8.32:1 combined ratio) to replace the th350/203 combo (5.0:1 ratio).........that's a pretty big jump!

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have 4.10's now and 35" tires, 70 mph on the freeway runs about 3000rpm, so I don't wanna go any lower in the axles.

And the 700r4 and 241, I don't think thats the ticket strength and reliability wise.

I think the only solution is doubler or 3:1 203 or both /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Except if I had that much money I would probably first get a dana 60. The whole thing started when I got on some rocks and realized how crappy my crawl ratio is in the first place, I guess it happens to everyone sooner or later /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The whole thing started when I got on some rocks and realized how crappy my crawl ratio is in the first place, I guess it happens to everyone sooner or later /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

read my sig, brother.

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The whole thing started when I got on some rocks and realized how crappy my crawl ratio is in the first place, I guess it happens to everyone sooner or later /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

read my sig, brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Perhaps:

Rock Crawling makes heroin addiction look like a low-cost hobby...

"Never add up your receipts.......NEVER!" -Greg72

10. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i like that setup too. my doubler is still on the workbench but i already am thinking 3:1 for the 203. it seems silly to have two cases that both have the same low range.

11. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i like that setup too. my doubler is still on the workbench but i already am thinking 3:1 for the 203. it seems silly to have two cases that both have the same low range.

[/ QUOTE ]

It only takes $500 down to get them started on one.....then about 4 weeks to build it.....then another $500 payment (plus a core charge) and it's shipped out their door and on it's way to your workbench.

What's to think about?

.....and no stupid excuses like food, or housing, or a mountain of pre-existing debt. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Shawn is going ot running the 3:1 203 GB with a doubler once he gets his 4l80e in and a new motor..I saw the worked over 203 gear box and I wasn't all that impressed with what he got for how much it cost...I thought it was ALL new gear and such...It looks like then welded the new gears to the old shaft...no biggie...then the little stuff like the spacer for the shifter, they uses a piece of stock steel that isn't even cut straight /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Its attention to detail (like that which you see come out of ORD) that wins me over...

Chris

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It only takes $500 down to get them started on one.....then about 4 weeks to build it.....then another $500 payment (plus a core charge) and it's shipped out their door and on it's way to your workbench.

What's to think about?

.....and no stupid excuses like food, or housing, or a mountain of pre-existing debt. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cost to buy flowers for the GF to take you back: $90
    Cost to get the water turned back on: $600
    Cost to eat for the first time in weeks: $15
    Cost to have 6.2:1 crawl in your full size rig: Priceless

14. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's to think about?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave the water turned off and take showers at the gym.

SAVINGS: $600 (That's the down payment!)

I dunno how to get the final payment.....but I will leave that as an exercise for the reader.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's to think about?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave the water turned off and take showers at the gym.

SAVINGS: $600 (That's the down payment!)

I dunno how to get the final payment.....but I will leave that as an exercise for the reader.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

good point! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif everyone buys bottled water these days anyway /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

That looks cool, so am I to understand that will work with the 27 spline t-case instead of having to use the 32? Would be more cost effective although not as strong /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

have you read this?

Clicky

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yep, and for the big truck that (ORD) is what it will get. But w/ my small truck it's more than I need. Just leting him know there are options .

20. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The biggest problem I have now is $$$, if I had a couple grand to blow this would be a no brainer, I guess I am gonna have to wait a while before I do anything. I think I'd do the 3:1 203 before the doubler since it would require no changes to the rest of the truck.

It figures there is no easy solution to the problem. I can't believe a 14bff is so cheap, and then every other HD part out there is a small fortune...well I know why...