Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone running these line locks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Nov 18, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

LINE LOCKS
    If so, where are you running them? How long have they been in service on your rig? How do they hold up? Any feedback is good. I've read what I can from the PBB, but that was mostly concerning lighter weighted rigs..........

I found a 7000 psi ball valve for around the same price, but it would be a pain to plumb into the cab, so the electric/hydraulic seems ideal

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I can't answer your question about that line lock but I do have a comment.
    I use the lever style not an electric type. I got mine from www.mico.com and the reason I like my lever lock is because I can ease off the brake pressure. With the electric kind your brakes are on or off no inbetween.
    The main reason I installed mine is for thoes 3 foot situations like on a hill. I can ease off the brake lever while I let the cluch out at the same time wich results in a nice and smooth start up. With the electric I would think you would have more of a 'sudden relese' kindof drop or roll back.
    My .02c

3. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Why would you want to run a line lock in a 4x4??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

TCI is a nice unit in a racing app.....I have no experience with that one.

Just currious /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If this is for what line lock is intended for then all you need is the 3000psi to keep back a braking system.

There must be another reason than to help hold you in the burn out box /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.....teach me /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Edit: unless it is used to hold your brakes when winching and such??? Might want to talk to the manufactures to see if the sylinoids like being left on for long periods of time.

4. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I intend to put line locks on my truck front and rear. Not so I can do burn outs... more of a parking brake feature. Some guys like to be able to lock up just one tire at a time to decrease their turning radius. If I were going to custom plumb my truck the manual valves would be the hot ticket. I would prefer having to only trust hydrolics to having to trust hydrolics and electricle.

All I have to do before the line locks go in is get the dang brakes working again..I installed rear disks and haven't gotten them working properly yet. It acts like the booster isn't working.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Just remember that any kind of line lock will fade in time. The line pressure that holds the calipers tight won't last for long periods of time. I did test the one I have. I set the lock(front tires only) and then put an block of wood for a 'safty net' behind the rear tires. Then left it over night in my driveway. My driveway is not super steep but enough for my rig to roll on its own. Anyway the next morning I removed the block and my rig did not roll. I released the lever lock and my rig started rolling down the driveway. That was about 14hrs of time.
    I have also read that keeping your calipers pressured up for long periods of time will cause the seals to blow prematurely.
    Good Luck

6. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was thinking of using those on my truck one for each rear brake so I could use them as turning brakes since I have a
    twin stick T-case. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Plus you could use them as a
    short term parking brake.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

That would bee cool! Kinda how a tank turns right? That colud get you around a tight corner for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. FWP

FWP CRS

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    one for each rear brake so I could use them as turning brakes since I have a
    twin stick T-case. Plus you could use them as a
    short term parking brake.

[/ QUOTE ]That's exactly what I'm going to use them for. I may also put one valve in the front, to have the option of locking all 4 brakes when winching......

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Steve. How much did they cost? How did you run the brake lines, and where is the valve located/mounted on you rig? Got any pics?

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes I do have a pic and here it is:
    [​IMG]
    See it next to the cage leg on the left! The lines were peerty easy to run. I bought a line bender fer like 6bucks from HarborFreight. My perpotioning(sp?) valve is mounted high next to the master/booster and I ran the lines off the front of the P-valve. Here is a pic:
    [​IMG]
    The lever lock also has a low pressure warning switch that can be hooked up to a red light or a buzzer. I haven't hooked that up yet. The lever lock is made out of a solid chunk of alluminum and I got it from West Coast Differentials fer like 180. Some places were asking 210 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It's not cheep but is considered the best so I expect long life out of it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    May not be what you want for your steering brakes though???
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif