Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone say heck with it and weld the tailgate in?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Nov 25, 2001.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am through, I am not messing with this tailgate anymore! I am thinking about welding the thing in. I figure it would add strength for when I catch air and off roading in general...I dont do any hauling (other than kids) with it...any one have any input
    THX!
    Brent

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Anyone say heck with it and weld the taingate in?

hmmmmmmmm.........never thought of it, but if you don't need a flip down gate, why not????

The only problem I can see is that you'd have to seal that sucker up well because there's lots of places that could rust out otherwise.......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

I use mine as a chair when i go to the races ......Also makes a great work bench.

<font color=red>A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.... </font color=red>[​IMG]

4. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

How about something like a custom fiberglass one with a plexiglass window. Flips up like a 4runner door. Wonder if someone makes something like that. I hate that rear door.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

That would be great, but I already have a new taiwaneese beauty I shelled out $200 for. I think I got it in ok after tinkering all day, but I cant get the latches to work all that good, I sliced my hand up too...Oh well, I will make it work!

6. Re: Anyone say heck with it and weld the taingate in?

are you going to keep the hard top on it? if not, put a pickup tailgate on it. i beleive they will bolt right on- mine has the factory mounting points anyways. it will be lighter and i would think that you could still install a soft top too. just an idea.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Try what Grim did for his tailgate if you are going to extremes. If not, then try a pick-up tailgate. You would have to rig up some kinda glass for the rear though. If you still have any tailgate posts left, a pickup tailgate will bolt right up.

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If you don't ever let the gate down I think it would be sweet welded up....no fumes....no rattles.....stiffer....I don't see a down side. Let us know what you decide.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

no but I took mine off and now I'm trying to figure out alternate soloutions to having one. I like to use mine as a seat, or work table, or place to make sandwiches. Think i've found a way to add one, but i'm trying to figure it all out right now. I think if you really dont use yours, then it'll be awesome to weld it in and stiffen up the truck. You might take cues from some of the lowrider guys that do that stuff all the time. But....if you ever want to go the other way, it'll be virtually impossible. That's burning a major bridge in the relationship of you and your truck. HAHAHAHAHA. Good luck whichever you decide.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I made a "tube frame" and bolted it in using shock grommets for anti-rattle..... Loved it while the top was off....

Check it out at my photo page under "Blazer Safari" pics

Marv

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

When I get my soft top, I'm going to put a pickup tailgate in.

I can't think of one right now, but I'm tired of the other [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

12. SKI-'84K5

SKI-'84K5 1/2 ton status

hey i don't know what you guys think but i am just welding in a piece of diamond plate and maybe fab it into a storage area for extra sh!t if needed. just gonna seal the window in to the top and find a way to seal against the "back" without breaking it, if it breaks oh well some tinted plexiglass works fine too, may just cut out the middle man anyone want a rear window.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A friend of mine had me weld the tailgate shut on his CJ7. We used some scrap 3/8ths inch steel rod as a backer to fill the gaps between the gate and body. A little cleanup work with the grinder and it looked pretty smooth. [​IMG] But indeed, once it's welded shut, it would be pretty hard to go back.... [​IMG] I wouldn't do it to mine. It would make it way too hard to load/unload stuff in the back.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

14. unclezeke

unclezeke Registered Member

i can honestly say the thought never crossed my mind. but i like it. you, my friend are a true pioneer. zepplin rules.