Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone see a value to a complete TPI injector swap tech article?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Jan 22, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I swapped injectors on Saturday, took about 30 photos and documented socket sizes, etc. for the job. If there is interest, I'd be glad to write the tech article.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Definately would be interested. :)
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

3. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

I whould like to read one to! And you're just the guy to write it, If you ask me!![​IMG]

I am the hunter Who live's in the darkness, And grows through your fears...... And you are the hunted.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

OK, its worth doing [​IMG]................got it done this morning. Just need to ask Steve how to send it in, and how to handle the pictures.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

This means that you now understand the one thing that I hate the most about TPI. [​IMG] Can you believe how much other stuff has to come apart to get those freakin' injectors out? What were they thinking? [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Yeah changing an EGR valve on one is fun too. I'm glad I dont need it

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yep, good thing it isn't something you need to do often...............I wouldn't have had to do it but I had a stinkin' feeling I was going to find bad news..........and I did.............I found my engine builder screwed up and put 19 lb injectors in the original build. 19 lb injectors in a 406!!! Talk about pissed.............and he was rather apologetic about it..................I knew something was wrong........the BLM's were up as were the integrator numbers...............the truck ran excellent but I always knew it had more, ya know what I mean? Well, the BLM numbers and Integrator numbers are 128, it runs better than it ever, ever has and I am tickled. My one mistake in this deal was NOT learning up front about TPI, tho I had no time at the time [​IMG]. Ah, well, better late than never, now the only thing I can't do is auto trannies...........and I don't think I'll need to learn them (I hope)...........and a truck that runs better than ever.

As for EGR, that's about an hour job..............8 T-40 bolts, 4 10mm throttle bolts and you're there.............

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

8. Sandhills Blazer

Sandhills Blazer Registered Member

Looking forward to the article. I'm in the process of putting a 1999 Vortec in my 1991 Blazer and using the TBI from the current motor. Will I need to make any changes to the TBI setup. I already have the vortec heads drilled and tapped to use the original manifold. Will your article help with a change over to the TPI on the vortec?

Herman
    '91K5 - 350, 700R4, NP241, Single 3" with FlowMaster, 32X1150s

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Herman, sorry, but this article will probably do little to help your situation regarding TBI (throttle body).

That said, if you want to put TPI on your vortec headed motor, YES it will help. All you would need is the new Vortec TPI manifold, and the rest shows the way the injectors/rails/and runners go together. TBI is a somewhat different animal, tho many of the basics are the same.

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

19 lb injectors... ouch... so what size did you upgrade to?

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

11. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

oh yea!!! would love an article on this!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yeah, OUCH is right. Pissed me off..............but the guy made a mistake, I can live with it. Upped them to 24 lb/hr Accel units.............solved the BLM problems I was having, and runs soooooooooooooo much better. I knew something was up............so now I am meeting with the builder to get my $$ back.

24lbers are plenty large enough for up to 450 hp by the way.

13. Sandhills Blazer

Sandhills Blazer Registered Member

Thanks, will I need a new computer and chip for the TPI setup or just the computer and chip that comes from the donor?

Herman
    '91K5 - 350, 700R4, NP241, Single 3" with FlowMaster, 32X1150s

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The computer from the donor and even maybe the chip from the donor will work, if you're putting in the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and it doesn't have VATS (vehicle anti theft system). Otherwise you will need a chip with those systems programmed out. The ECM for a Speed Density motor is the 730.............not sure about the MAF computer number.

15. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I bet those 8 new brand new inj's set you back just abit Frank.... :0). The wife is pregnant bud! We are in the midst of selling the townhouse so i can have a bigger garage for the K5 Garage...least thats the way i see it...lol. Been down in Parker for the last two weekends...matter o fact leavin in 2 hours....runnin checkpoints with the chalet...will take good pics. Later tatter.

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status